Re: Structuring One Shot "Demo" Session

  • David C
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2013
      The best one shot demo I have played in was the Fafnir's Treasure scenario for Fate of the Norns. Viking Historical fantasy, so not entirely dissimilar to Age of Arthur.

      The scenario opened with the characters being on the beach with he captain of their ship walking into town leaving he vessel abandoned on the shore.

      Two major, and I do mean major, NPC players in the struggle between gods and giants were in town. Both wanted the same legendary treasure and each was auditioning heroes to go recover it. Accepting the quest led to advice to follow one of two routes to the treasure depending on which faction the players allied with.

      There were various other encounters in the village and of course along the trek to the treasure with a major fight to actually get it. Followed by lavish rewards from the patron.

      All in all a nice adventure. A fairly obvious linear plot to follow for the "main adventure", enoug intersting side encounters to keep us busy when we strayed from the plot, and some memorable NPCs.

      I played it through three times at the same Con. Once working for each of the two main NPCs and once going off on a major tangent. We actually recovered the treasure once, once we spent too much time on our in town preparations, and once we through the adventure completely off the rails, ignored the plot and went our own way.

      What made it so effective was having clearly defined goals, clear choices of factions to ally with, and enough little vignettes to give us the feeling of being in a living breathing world. Having the choice of factions to join and a couple of other tasks we could perform for various NPCs kept us from feeling too railroaded, as did having a map with our destination clearly marked but the choice of route up to us.

      Have a couple of distinctive NPCs and a couple of memorable encounters and the rest should take care of it self.

      Cheers,
      Dave