Re: [FateRPG] The opposite of consequences?

  • J B Bell
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
      I'm weighing in on the side of the people calling this a situation of changing the character via advancement or other negotiation rather than creating some mechanic for "nice" consequences.

      If it had been a game, I think that scene would have been negotiated:

      "Well, that's a pretty thoroughly nasty hit you took from that car."

      "Hmm, yeah. Definitely makes petty crime a bit less appealing. You know, it's been fun doing this 'small-time hood hijinks' thing but I'm thinking maybe we could take this a new direction?"

      "Like what?"

      "Well I still like the humour angle but I'm a bit tired of the schtick where my guy is a useless asshole. What about an useless asshole but with good intentions? Like . . . 'Trying for self-redemption.'"

      "Oh, totally I can work with that. Let's not fiddle with the consequences too much, just change that Aspect, and we'll say he won the lottery, so you can have a high Resources, so you're not motivated so much with petty crime, but you keep screwing it up."

      "Yeah! That will make life interesting too since all his friends are still low-lifes."

      When I've played Fate we've usually been pretty loose about changing Aspects, occasionally voting Aspect changes on another player's PC because it was appropriate, funny, or, um, a "growth experience" for the player. (This did have _some_ structure: we didn't just do it smack in the middle of play.) Earl was at the end of a story arc (if you imagine the previous history as played rather than just character concept), and the major milestone lets you do a pretty thorough redesign.

      None of this is to say that Fate Core's rules are mere wispy suggestions unworthy of consideration--but I do think they suggest a style of play that's less formal in general, so that you're not likely often to need whole new sub-systems.

      --JB

      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM, PK Levine <pkitty@...> wrote:
      On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 09:45:11 pm GalacticCmdr wrote:
      > Stunts are not permanent affairs since they can be changed out with every
      > Minor Advancement. So you could have a Lottery Winner Stunt for as long as
      > it makes sense that you will have lottery winnings. When you decide that
      > time is over use a Minor Advancement to swap it out.

      ^Quoted for truth. *Everything* on a character sheet is technically temporary.
      Some things are less temporary than others (e.g., High Aspect vs. other
      aspects) but there's nothing that can't be swapped out. Your lottery winner
      almost certainly has some sort of Resources stunt that gives him some benefit
      such as free tags every session -- and he'll have that stunt for as long as
      the player decides that he has access to the money. Over time, the stunt may
      change, evolve, grow (i.e., the player adds *another* stunt in the chain), or
      disappear, all according to the player's (and presumably, the story's) needs.

      PK

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: