Fate Core: Warmaster

  • GalacticCmdr
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2013
      I was looking over the Warmaster and Advanced Warmaster stunt and I am just not getting the use of the advanced version.

      Warmaster. +2 to Fight rolls made to create an advantage against an opponent, provided the opponent has a fighting style or weakness she can exploit.

      Advanced Warmaster. (requires Warmaster) When you’re fighting anyone who is armed with a sword, you get a further +2 bonus to creating an advantage using Warmaster.

      Warmaster gives you a +2 to CAA vs. exploitable fighting styles
      Adv War turns it into a +4 if they are exploitable and using a sword.

      Why would you take Adv. Warmaster instead of say...

      Sword Master: +2 CAA when opponent is wielding a sword

      If they are using an exploitable sword-style then you get the same benefit, but with the added advantage that you get at least a +2 CAA vs. sword-wielders.

      Can I not use multiple stunts on the same roll as long as all of them are applicable?

      Chip
      --
      “Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. True irreverence is disrespect for another man’s god.” – Mark Twain

    • Leonard Balsera
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2013
        First thing: As per the "talk about expectations when you make a stunt (or do anything in Fate, really)" thing, the situational restrictions for each stunt are things you should assume happened after such a conversation. Like, "Child of the Court" would be a crappy stunt in a "wandering the wastes" kind of fantasy game - the existence of the restriction there implies that there's an emphasis on courtly life in the premise of the game.

        That said:

        Generally speaking, a stunt shouldn't wholly replace any use of a skill.

        And we like swords a lot. So, if a player proposes "Hey, I want a stunt that gives me a +2 to CAA against people using swords," it's probable the GM's response would be, "Dude, that's like everyone you're gonna fight ever, most of the time. I don't want to get saddled with the annoyance of deciding if this guy or that guy has a sword or not."

        So they modify it down to, "If you satisfy the conditions for Warmaster we already agreed on, and the style is a sword style, +4." Because maybe the formal styles in this campaign world are a lot more weapon-diverse.

        --
        Leonard Balsera, Fate System Developer for Evil Hat Productions
        lbalsera@...