Re: Secret Extreme Consequences

  • dave_joria
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
      I don't have much experience GMing, but I think the handy thing to do is to have secret slips for all players at the end of a scenario. Each of them has a secret message, reflecting on some instance that happened during the scenario.

      Ex.
      "You have the strange taste of copper in your mouth... perhaps when you lost your molar?"

      "You feel extremely hungry."

      "You feel unusually tense."

      "Your foot has fallen asleep."

      And so forth. Most of them will be completely mundane things (you burned a lot of energy, so you're naturally hungry.) However, one or more of them will lead to something that will be a bigger deal later... and no player knows at first which player it might be.
    • David Reed
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013

        I agree. That’s a fabulous concept, even for less than extreme consequences. Tricky to implement so as to be fun for all, but if you’ve got the player’s trust and willingness to play along, that could make for some grand drama as the character struggles to figure out WTF is going on, leading up to the dramatic reveal.

        The first concern that comes to mind for extreme consequences is forcing a player to choose which character aspect gets replaced with the new secret aspect, reducing the number of aspects that she knows how to invoke. =) Or would you leave all the character aspects in place until the secret was revealed when the choice would be forced?

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013

          I figure that it will be fairly obvious most of the time. When Lasciel comes in, it alters "Temptation of Power" to "Seductress In My Head". Fills the same niche in the character.

          Sometimes it will be less obvious. "Surprise, You're a Daddy!" could replace or modify anything having to with family, being alone, or leaving a legacy. If your character doesn't have something like that, then maybe he's not a good target for that consequence.

          Sometimes it will be random. "Cancer" isn't likely to have a real match. I'd just let it go until the reveal, then discuss it with the player.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
            Oooh. You just opened up a whole host of potential social consequences for me. (Rob, stop reading this thread. =)

            Sent from my Windows Phone (HTC 8X)