Re: [Fate Core] Magic Stunts - Far and Wide?

  • dave_joria
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
      ATTEMPT #2

      MAGIC – SKILLS AND STUNTS
      Magic is a building block of the Skeleton Crew universe, and can be used to bend the laws of physics in many ways. However, it cannot do everything. If your mage could snap his fingers and have the spell do everything for him, it would take most of the fun out of the game.

      We've boiled down magic abilities into several different levels of stunts.

      Level 1 – Adds a magical "flavor" aspect to one or more skills. Also allows you to take existing materials in the scene (props, people, scenery) to create aspects related to your specialty (potions; enchantments; curses). Nutshell – Make something from something.

      Level 2A – All the above, except you can use a small amount to make a bigger effect. Nutshell – Make something from very little,

      Level 2B – Same as Level 1, but with a wider specialty (ex. potions AND enchantments, etc.) Nutshell – Make something into many different somethings.

      The above will hopefully serve as a foundation, should you want to make your own magical Stunt trees. However, we've come up with a few magical specialties, to serve as examples.

      Stunt Tree – ELEMENTALISM
      Your character is linked to a specific element (needs to have an aspect saying which one.) This element is attuned to his or her soul, and your character can use it in a variety of ways.

      Stunt – Elemental Control
      Your character can sense the chosen element in the nearby area. It affects the following skills:

      >Craft - Using the craft skill, the player can draw this element to him- for example, a water elementalist could pull water from an underwater bed (if there's one handy), trigger a sprinkler system, turn a city fog into water drops, and some forth. The player can also sculpt the element into a sculpture or object, shaping it with his or her directions. This sculpture can defy gravity, but only for the given scene (ex. A hedge sculpture will last after the sculptor leaves, but a fire sculpture will fall apart and burn out).

      >Contacts – When searching for contacts, the character might have connections to elementals, fairies, and demons of your chosen element. Often time, they can be contacted at certain sacred sites (ex. A water demon at a specific river.)

      >Fighting -Your character can gather the element into his or her hands in combat, using them for offense and defense in combat. This ability does not add any effect on its own, but you can invoke aspects related to this element to help you (ex. use the sewer water you're standing in to add oomph to your water attack). It may also invoke the aspects of enemies that have a weakness to your element.

      >Shooting -Your character instinctively summons forth the given element, to use as a long range weapon in combat. This ability does not add any effect on its own, but you can invoke aspects related to this element to help you (ex. use the sewer water you're standing in to add oomph to your water attack). It may also invoke the aspects of enemies that have a weakness to your element.

      SIDEBAR – The Element of Fighting (and Shooting).
      Please note that when it comes to Fighting and Shooting, the Elemental Control stunts is more about flavor than rules. In SC:RPG, a +3 Fighting character wielding his favorite axe deals no more damage than a +3 Fighting character with fists. This skill lets your nerdy wizard fight with a +3 too, except wielding a weapon far greater than his puny muscles would otherwise allow.)

      Also, while it's fun to envision your character forming swords and shields of ice, keep in mind that a character fighting with an elements doesn't technically create any weapons- if he tries handing them off to another player, they will instantly dissolve. To make lasting weapons, use the Craft skill to make them. They merely add flavor to the character's Fighting skill.) /sidebar

      Stunt Branches – Elementalism

      ~Elemental Expansion – Requires Elemental Control
      Your character can not only summon his element to himself, but can take a small amount of the element and magically increase it. This means the player can turn a seed into a full tree, a match into a bonfire, etc. This would use the Craft skill. It can also be used in reverse, to shrink or reduce an element in an area, allowing your character to part the seas before him, drain the light out of a room, create an instant hole in the ground, and so forth. In reducing the element, the player may attempt to harm and shrivel opposing elementals, fairies, and demons- or, if he has a stunt that binds these spirits too him, he might be able to shrink and store his followers (like a Pokeball!)

      ~Summon Elementals – Requires Elemental Control
      Your character has in his lesser spirits bound to him by magical contract. These can be elementals, fairies, demons, or a mix of the above. They can travel around with your character, or summoned from a site sacred to your element. They can also be contacted through a Summoning Ritual (using Lore), and occasional bring them forward as well (ask your GM). See the "Companions - Stunts" section for more. This may be taken more than once.

      ~ Enchant Element - Requires Elemental Control
      Your character can use his Craft skill to place enchantments onto objects and terrain pieces that relate to his element. For example, an earth elementalist can place an alarm spell on anyone who tries to pick up an enchanted hammer. It can also be used to create minor magical artifacts, like a fire elementalist enchanting a candle to burn twice as bright and long. For more details on Enchantments, see the section, "Stunt Tree – Enchantments."

      ~ Element of Life- Requires Elemental Control
      Your character can call upon the elements within living things, lending them strength. The player can now make Blessings. For more details on Enchantments, see the section, "Stunt Tree – Blessings." Note: This is most common amongst elementalists of life-related powers, such as Flora, Fauna, and Death.

      ~ Element of Death- Requires Elemental Control
      Your character can call upon the elements within living things, sapping their strength. The player can now make Curses. For more details on Enchantments, see the section, "Stunt Tree – Curses." Note: This is most common amongst elementalists of life-related powers, such as Flora, Fauna, and Death.

      ~Polyelementalist- Requires Elemental Control.
      The elementalist is able to manipulate multiple elements instead just a single one. Each time you take this skill allows you control of two additional elements. However, you must give a thematic reason why you are able to control vastly different fields- you can't just pick one because it's cool! If you are unsure what to do with your last expertise, save it for later- maybe you'll need it in the middle of a campaign!

      (Aaaaand so on. Branched enchantments to its own tree, Nerfed the "create from nothing" skill and added the "pokeball" version of familiars to it, (so the GM knows what you are carrying.)
    • yzanshin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
        Just an idle thought:

        You could separate the elements in two major schools:
        - The classic: fire, earth, water, air.
        - The others: (for example) life, time, space and magic itself.

        (Maybe upon taking each aspect the player could decide to take two elements or the same twice.)

        That allows your examples to fit into combinations:
        - elemental: any element + life.
        - expansion: any element + space.
        - enchant: any element + time or any element + magic.
        - element of life: magic + life.
        - element of death: time + life.

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "dave_joria" <dave.joria@...> wrote:

        > ATTEMPT #2
      • dave_joria
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
          The elements that I frequently mention (and have rules for) are Water, Air, Earth, Fire, Ice, Life/Divine, Death, Flora, Beasts, and Light. However, as an aside, I also mention Dust, Metal, Sand, Lightning, Acid, Decay, Poison, Luck/Fate, Gravity, Gateways, Heart, Mind, Tech, and Time.

          Do you think only one element is too weak? Or, are you suggesting that Curses and Blesses be converted into "elements" themselves? That's not a bad idea, but they work so differently, it might be better to lump them into a WAY of using magic, like Potions & Enchantments.

          Space is one that seems a little hard for me to use, and Time too. I'm thinking of adding Divination in there, implying that the character can have some glimpses of the future (which tend to be painfully vague).

          As for "element groups," this is my recommendation for packaging them:

          (Sidebar)
          Elemental Groups
          If you have the Polyelementalist stunt, here are some ideas of element groupings that make sense:

          Helenistic Elements: The four classic elements of the Western world, Earth, Air, Water, and Fire. If you have access to a fifth, you might be able to use "aether" (which is eerily similar to Divine magic.)

          Wu Xing: The five Chinese elements, into their proper Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood (aka Flora). If you only have access to four elements, you might be strongest in one of the four, and unable to use the element that overpowers it (Wood parts earth; Earth absorbs water; Water quenches fire; Fire melts metal; Metal chops wood.)

          Summer / Yang: The elements of warmth, such as Fire, Air, Flora, Life, and Light. It might also be connected to Divine magic. Just because it is associated with "warmth" does not make the user automatically gentle- fire can kill just as well as ice. Ancient cultures often associated these elements as "masculine" traits, although it can be used by either gender.

          Winter / Yin: The darker elements, such as Water, Earth, Ice, Shadow, Moon, and Metal. This might also include Death and Decay, but does not automatically make the user evil- death is an essential part of nature, and can be as much of a blessing as a curse. Ancient cultures often associated these as "feminine" traits, although it can be used by either gender.

          Dark Arts: The elements associated with evil. Fire, Shadow, Necromancy and Death are the most obvious, although you can always throw in Decay, Ice, Lava, Metal, or anything else that hits your nasty mood.

          Opposites: Sometimes you have the ability to quickly create and banish a specific component, allowing you to manipulate elements that are opposites. For example, the ability to control heat might allow you to control Fire and Ice. Add in humidity and a little earth control, you could control Fire, Ice, Water, and Sand. This is great for Psychics, who control the vibration of molecules to make them hotter or colder.
          [/sidebar]