Declaring a Story Detail

  • Jonathan Lang
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2013
      Request for clarification:

      In the latest draft (released earlier today), I ran across this on page 13 on the subject of things you can spend Fate Points on:

      "Sometimes, you want to add a detail that works to your character's advantage in a scene. For example, you might use this to narrate a convenient coincidence, like retroactively having the right supplies for a certain job (“Of course I brought that along!”), showing up at a dramatically appropriate moment, or suggesting that you and the NPC you just met have mutual clients in common. To do this, you'll spend a fate point. You should try to justify your story details by relating them to your aspects. GMs, you have the right to veto any suggestions that seem out of scope or ask the player to revise them, especially if the rest of the group isn't buying into it."

      I could have sworn that the Change Log said that the ability to spend Fate Points to declare story details was being removed so as not to encroach on the Create Advantage action? Or am I conflating "Declare a Story Detail" with "Create a Situation Aspect"? In which case, can a Create Advantage action be used to declare a story detail without having to spend a Fate Point? That seems to be right up its alley…

      Also, I seem to recall one use for Fate Points which isn't mentioned in this section: the ability to use a skill in an unusual manner: a means of refining the boundaries of your skill. I can't find the reference to it at the moment: it was a one-liner in the first draft, and I can't confirm that it still exists in the revised draft because I don't remember where it was: it was pointed out to me by the author of the section that it's in during an earlier subject on the mailing list. If I'm remembering it correctly, it would be a good fit for this section: indeed, the example given here (using "If I Haven't Been There, I've Read About It" to declare that your character speaks the local language) could be thought of as refining Zird's Lore skill to include speaking the local language.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2013
        No, the thing that was removed was the spending of a fate point to create an aspect and immediately invoke it.

        Fred

        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Jonathan Lang <dataweaver@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
            FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Fred Hicks
        Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 2013
          And it wasn't even removed, it was just moved elsewhere in the book as a softer, "Hey, everybody should have a chance to speak cool situation aspects into existence, because that's cool."

          (That's a paraphrase.)

          --
          Leonard Balsera, Fate System Developer for Evil Hat Productions
          lbalsera@...