Re: [FateRPG] Taken Out -- can you kill someone by accident? [Spoilers]

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM, George Harnish <lefou23@...> wrote:
      This might get a bit abstract, and paved with many intentions. The war between the Vampires and White Council starts off with pretty heavy magic. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Harry still had the Sword of Damocles over his head at that point. How many people die in the war to follow that could be attributed to that one spell? The sword could surely have fallen, had the White Council felt the law had been broken. The act certainly haunts Harry. Actions have consequences.

      IIRC (and I too have a memory that likes to play with reality, so don't take this as a given), Harry specifically has some angst over the results of that spell and mentally notes that it's not technically a violation of the law - the magic didn't kill any humans, but the mundane fire it started almost certainly did - but Harry still feels guilt.

      Because of they way Harry explains how using Magic works, this is consistent - You have to WANT what the spell is doing right then.  After effects of the spell once Magic is off the table don't count as far as Laws are concerned.  I think a more simple way to put it would be: Kill someone with a sword, you can try to justify it, both before and after, to allow yourself to do it.  Magic accepts no rationalizations.

      [POTTER SPOILERS BELOW]

      That said, I fully believed Dumbledore would be alive, because Rowling said the same thing: to kill someone with the Latinlikica spell, you had to REALLY WANT IT.  Snape was the one who cast it, so....

      So I don't trust authors.  Not even Martin, who occasionally DOESN'T have them die.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AFOXCfoKO1k

      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...