Re: [FateRPG] crunchy medieval combat

  • Danni Coy
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 11, 2013

      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Jacob Peck <gatesphere@...> wrote:

      On 3/11/2013 3:41 PM, Leonard Balsera wrote:

      Hey, folks?

      Can we make this less of a theoretical exegesis about the nature of "true" medieval combat, and more about helping the OP put some stuff in his Fate game that carries authentic flavor?

      Thanks. :)
      Well, he did say he wanted it authentic... ;p

      No I said I wanted to explore the tradeoffs in real medieval combat, That is something much more specific.

      And the bit that Jan just added about armor being not-that-encumbering is very important for authenticity, IMO.

      -->Jake

    • Bill Burdick
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 16, 2013

        Depends on just how crunchy you want to be.  If you care about things like flanking, phalanxes, and engagement, then weapon length can be a major factor, but just using aspects might not be crunchy enough.  This is why I made the tactics rules.

        Bill

        On Mar 16, 2013 4:22 PM, "Christopher Bartlett" <themusicalbrewer@...> wrote:

        Surely, modeling weapon length is just as simple as a create advantage action with fighting or whatever skill you can justify.  You could I suppose tweak this action to be a stunt by saying that not only do you get the +2 for creating an advantage, but the opponent who is now disadvantaged by weapon length, i.e. the pike man with the dagger-wielder deep inside his range could receive a penalty as well, but at the resolution we are using the +2 advantage should be enough.  Am I missing something that would complicate this further?

                        Chris Bartlett