Re: [FateRPG] General FATE question - Taking out ones self

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 8, 2013
      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Bill Johnson <keryth@...> wrote:
      > Well, we've strayed a bit far from my original question. What I was looking for is not about a PC taking themselves out, but an NPC. This is the bad guy if one episode, not my BBG. However, this is someone I REALLY don't want my PCs capturing and interrogating, but I also don't want to kill their ambush they have planned either.

      As with others, I see this as a story event, not a Concession.

      As a player, I'd be pretty ticked if the GM prevented me from getting
      what I wanted AND took a Fate point for it. Such a reaction is un-fun
      and not what you wanted to do.

      Heck, if I, as GM, complicate the player's lives in a way they aren't
      allowed to prevent, I give THEM Fate points.

      I'm sure you can finagle some weird way to compel some campaign Aspect
      against the players to get them a FP and get you want you want, but I
      think the answer is far more simple: What makes for a better game? Do
      that. Rules are an aid, not a legal system.
      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 8, 2013
        On Friday, March 08, 2013 10:47:52 am Bill Johnson wrote:
        > Well, we've strayed a bit far from my original question. What I was looking
        > for is not about a PC taking themselves out, but an NPC. This is the bad
        > guy if one episode, not my BBG. However, this is someone I REALLY don't
        > want my PCs capturing and interrogating, but I also don't want to kill
        > their ambush they have planned either.
        >
        > Any suggestions? I was asking originally because I thought that I might
        > have a dramatic. "For the Master" statement then bang, villain dead in the
        > middle of combat

        Putting a gun in your own mouth and pulling the trigger isn't a "conflict" type
        of action -- it's a "you just killed yourself" one. IMO, if this is even an
        action, it's an Overcome action, not an Attack. I ruled it a concession
        earlier, but it's not really even that.

        Can the NPC shoot herself? Yes, as long as it makes sense.

        Do you have to offer anyone FP for it? No, it's just the action the NPC is
        taking; no aspects are getting involved here.

        Do you have to calculate stress levels and see if she's taken out? No, this
        isn't an attack -- it's death.

        Can the PCs stop it? Maybe, depends. If a PC has a valid way to oppose it,
        then it's now an Overcome action vs. active opposition. Let 'em try to stop
        it, sure, if it's fair.

        PK
      • Undead Trout
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 8, 2013
          I'd treat it like a compel and offer a fate point to each player invested in keeping the villain from escaping justice. Anyone who refuses pays a fate point, but I'd just escalate and offer two. They can refuse again at cost, and I'd leave it there. Obviously if someone (or multiple someones) is willing to cough up two fate points, the Big Bad shouldn't get the easy out.

          --
          M. Schwartz  —  undead.trout@...
          ~  Always Something Fishy Going On™  ~