Re: [FateRPG] How to model growing madness, corruption, etc

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
      We were just talking about how to do that a few weeks ago.  There was a thread "FATE and The Force" in the archives.

      This was the first message in the thread:

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Christopher Bartlett <themusicalbrewer@...> wrote:

      How would you approach the task of modeling something like the growing control of the One Ring over its possessor, or the corruption that might come from using particularly evil sorts of magic?  For these effects, an additional stress track doesn’t feel right, since stress goes away too quickly and the consequences that would come from, say a failed will roll would crowd out all other consequences.  These effects need to be insidious, build upon themselves and take a while to manifest.

      I don’t own Dresden Files yet, but how would it handle Harry’s possession of the coin for instance, something that would give access to more and more power at the cost of more and more control or humanity?

                      Chris Bartlett

    • Ashok Desai
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
        I'd go for a specific Stress track, with Consequences reflecting symptoms (I.e. Gollum's split personality / obsession). If the stress track overflows, the character is obliged to replace one of their permanent Aspects with a suitable symptom of the madness / corruption.

        Ash

        Sent from my iPad
      • Jacob Peck
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
          I'd say model it as a leveled Aspect... Tainted (1), Tainted (2), etc.
          What each of those aspects mean is up to the players and the GM, of course.

          -->Jake
        • Travis Heldibridle
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
            I'd go with a stress track. It does pretty much exactly what you want in my opinion. As you take consequences you gain those additional aspects which provide fuel for further temptation, or signs of corruption. Eventually you become completely corrupted (taken out).

            Stress doesn't have to go away at the same rate as the standard stress tracks (e.g. the Wealth stress track in Extras resets per session instead of per scene) so you could set it to never clear, or to only clear at the end of a Scenario, or to only be 'healed' by specific circumstances in game (e.g. changing an Aspect to reflect the more permanent nature of your current level of corruption).

            On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Christopher Bartlett <themusicalbrewer@...> wrote:

            How would you approach the task of modeling something like the growing control of the One Ring over its possessor, or the corruption that might come from using particularly evil sorts of magic?  For these effects, an additional stress track doesn’t feel right, since stress goes away too quickly and the consequences that would come from, say a failed will roll would crowd out all other consequences.  These effects need to be insidious, build upon themselves and take a while to manifest.

          • Stephen Figgins
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013

              On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Travis Heldibridle <travis.heldibridle@...> wrote:

              Stress doesn't have to go away at the same rate as the standard stress tracks (e.g. the Wealth stress track in Extras resets per session instead of per scene) so you could set it to never clear, or to only clear at the end of a Scenario, or to only be 'healed' by specific circumstances in game (e.g. changing an Aspect to reflect the more permanent nature of your current level of corruption).

              Mmmmhm stress that never or very rarely clears.  So vicious.  And when tied to an advantage like using the One Ring or drawing on some dark side power, making early uses only inflict stress might make the use even more tempting.  "Come on, try it. The first one is free. What's a little stress?  No big deal."

              The One Ring is more of a plot driver in LotR, but isn't quite the same problem when Bilbo first acquires it. Though ownership of the ring does give Bilbo an immediate and permanent aspect:  "My Precious."  In LotR the One Ring becomes more like a character, it has its own agenda.  It attacks its bearer's mind. Maybe use of it provokes a mental attack, or maybe the ring seeks to create advantages when called upon that it can later use in an all out attack on the bearer.

              In a LotR game you might even make a plot stress track and use of the ring would advance the stress on the plot as well, calling the wraiths, alerting Sauron, etc.

              --
              Stephen

            • John Rudd
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
                On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Travis Heldibridle <travis.heldibridle@...> wrote:

                Stress doesn't have to go away at the same rate as the standard stress tracks (e.g. the Wealth stress track in Extras resets per session instead of per scene) so you could set it to never clear, or to only clear at the end of a Scenario, or to only be 'healed' by specific circumstances in game (e.g. changing an Aspect to reflect the more permanent nature of your current level of corruption).

                Or through minor acts of contrition/atonement.  Something like "corruption stress clears when you perform a cleansing ritual" or something like that.  Depending on what the exact form of corruption might be.

              • Travis Heldibridle
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
                  On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM, John Rudd <johnkzin@...> wrote:

                  Or through minor acts of contrition/atonement.  Something like "corruption stress clears when you perform a cleansing ritual" or something like that.  Depending on what the exact form of corruption might be.

                  Agreed, your example is closer to a method of healing. I guess my example was more of a way of clearing the bar to allow a prolonged spiral into darkness. I'd probably allow 'The Force' to heal your way, while handling sanity in a gothic horror game my way, and when dealing with a corrupting item like 'The One Ring' I'd probably not allow it to heal at all unless the character was separated from the item.