Re: [FateRPG] Re: PAX East?

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 26, 2013
      Once I get past the "two small kids" time in my life, I'll work on making it to Dreamation/Dexcon again. But for the time being I'm mainly just making time for PAX East and Metatopia.

      Fred

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Joe Formoso <jformoso@...> wrote:
      On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Fred Hicks wrote:

      > I'll be there, but I'm not planning on running anything. Typically what I
      > do is gravitate to the open gaming area (it's a biiiig area) and just grab
      > a table, jaw with folks, play whatever games happen to come up.
      ----------
              Pity I'm going to miss PAX East.  Any chance anyone from Evil
      Hat is going to be at DEXCON 16?  I read recently that you were at
      Metatopia, and was kicking myself for missing it (despite the fact that
      I didn't know a thing about Evil Hat when the con happened, and there
      was in fact this really big storm in the way, so I likely couldn't have
      gone even if I had planned to), and was hoping that meant that there was
      a chance you'd be at DEXCON.

                                              --Joe

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
          FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Fred Hicks
      Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 26, 2013
        I will definitely be spending some time in the kickstarter room, i have heard a rumor there will be a "games on demand" area (hopefully a room and not in the open area)so I will look into that.
        ...any chance of throwing money at you for the kickstarter when you are in the kickstarter room?

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

        > Once I get past the "two small kids" time in my life, I'll work on making
        > it to Dreamation/Dexcon again. But for the time being I'm mainly just
        > making time for PAX East and Metatopia.
        >
        > Fred
        >
        > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Joe Formoso <jformoso@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Fred Hicks wrote:
        > >
        > > > I'll be there, but I'm not planning on running anything. Typically what I
        > > > do is gravitate to the open gaming area (it's a biiiig area) and just
        > > grab
        > > > a table, jaw with folks, play whatever games happen to come up.
        > > ----------
        > > Pity I'm going to miss PAX East. Any chance anyone from Evil
        > > Hat is going to be at DEXCON 16? I read recently that you were at
        > > Metatopia, and was kicking myself for missing it (despite the fact that
        > > I didn't know a thing about Evil Hat when the con happened, and there
        > > was in fact this really big storm in the way, so I likely couldn't have
        > > gone even if I had planned to), and was hoping that meant that there was
        > > a chance you'd be at DEXCON.
        > >

        > > --Joe

        > Fred Hicks
        > Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
        > Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
        > For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks
        > http://gplus.to/fredhicks

      • Brett Ritter
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 26, 2013
          On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
          > Kickstarter has asked me to be part of their "showroom", and I *might* be on a panel with them, but nothing's been confirmed w/me yet.

          Good grief...if other systems model their Kickstarters off of you,
          I'll never have spare cash again!

          --
          Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
          swiftone@...
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 26, 2013
            On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

            On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Fred Hicks evilhat@...> wrote:
            > Kickstarter has asked me to be part of their "showroom", and I *might* be on a panel with them, but nothing's been confirmed w/me yet.

            Good grief...if other systems model their Kickstarters off of you,
            I'll never have spare cash again!

            My wife is already growling at me over what I've been spending on Kickstarter. I'd sworn off  until the Fate Core kickstarter came along. This time it's for keeps! No more Kickstarters until I start getting my Numenera books!

            --
            Hollis McCray
            aka The Fifth Wanderer

            ascensionschild@...

          • Dennis D Duquette
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 27, 2013
              We have a family account for bills, groceries, kids' stuff, etc. and personal accounts alongside. When I support a KickStarter, save up for a tablet, etc. there's no guilt or argument, since it's my money. Also, giving my wife a gift or taking her on a date means spending personal money, not family money, and it's helping.

              Maybe it could work for you, too, Hollis, and anyone else with similar concerns.

              Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Heh. I was mostly kidding. My wife and I discuss any kickstarter that comes to our attention, and exactly how much we're going to pledge. About a third of the projects we back are of mutual interest, meaning that we both want to see it fly. And we rarely back two projects at the same time.

                  Of course, gaming stuff is usually on me, and it comes out of my personal 'fun money' budget  for the month. The only one of those that's really driven her up the wall was the Numenera kickstarter. We were backing the it and Gamers 3 movie at the same time, and while Numenera was going insane, Gamers 3 was... looking doubtful there for a bit. (It funded, with some to spare.)

                  Kickstarters, on the whole, have been a positive experience for me. Almost every project I've backed has funded, and I've had fairly good experiences with the creators. I know Monte Cook wrote a book about running a successful crowdfunded project. Maybe someone needs to write a book about backing such projects?

                  (And yes, I know this is something of an off-topic ramble. I do apologize to one and all. Now to get started with the working day.)

                  On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Dennis D Duquette <dennisdduquette@...> wrote:

                  We have a family account for bills, groceries, kids' stuff, etc. and personal accounts alongside. When I support a KickStarter, save up for a tablet, etc. there's no guilt or argument, since it's my money. Also, giving my wife a gift or taking her on a date means spending personal money, not family money, and it's helping.

                  Maybe it could work for you, too, Hollis, and anyone else with similar concerns.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Feb 27, 2013, at 1:19, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:

                  On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Brett Ritter <swiftone@...> wrote:

                  On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Fred Hicks evilhat@...> wrote:
                  > Kickstarter has asked me to be part of their "showroom", and I *might* be on a panel with them, but nothing's been confirmed w/me yet.

                  Good grief...if other systems model their Kickstarters off of you,
                  I'll never have spare cash again!

                  My wife is already growling at me over what I've been spending on Kickstarter. I'd sworn off  until the Fate Core kickstarter came along. This time it's for keeps! No more Kickstarters until I start getting my Numenera books!

                  --
                  Hollis McCray
                  aka The Fifth Wanderer

                  ascensionschild@...

                  Hollis McCray
                  aka The Fifth Wanderer

                  ascensionschild@...

                • Travis Heldibridle
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 27, 2013
                    On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                    I'll be there, but I'm not planning on running anything. Typically what I do is gravitate to the open gaming area (it's a biiiig area) and just grab a table, jaw with folks, play whatever games happen to come up.

                    Fred

                    This email really resonates for me. I've been gaming for two decades, but most of that with the same group of guys playing the same games. The stories we've created together have been fantastic, but this email makes me feel like I've missed out on a really fun aspect of this hobby. I really need to get to a convention.
                  • Michael Hopcroft
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 3, 2013
                      My PBP group is willing to try the new stunt levels. Now I have to be clear
                      on what they are. There was talk of starting with 3 Stunts and a Refresh of
                      3 as opposed to starting with two stunts.

                      Is that right? Are there other details I need to tell my players about (we
                      are approaching the end of character creation, which takes a while in a
                      play-by-post game)?

                      Michael Hopcroft
                    • PK Levine
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 3, 2013
                        On Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:06:55 pm Michael Hopcroft wrote:
                        > My PBP group is willing to try the new stunt levels. Now I have to be clear
                        > on what they are. There was talk of starting with 3 Stunts and a Refresh of
                        > 3 as opposed to starting with two stunts.

                        I'm a little confused, sorry. What are these new stunt levels? Did I miss the
                        revised Core stunt rules release?

                        PK
                      • Stephen Figgins
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 4, 2013
                          No new release, just something I think Fred mentioned about the upcoming revision. It was in a thread where someone was statting up centurions for Fate Core.  The OP had statted with two free stunts and four refresh.   The suggestion was that in the new release the default would grant three free stunts and have a refresh of three.

                        • Bryce Perry
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 4, 2013
                            Wow. That's very nearly a doubling of the current release. That would be a pretty big change.

                            I hope they include more example stunts if they choose to go this way.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 4, 2013
                                I can confirm the 3/3 split, though. And a bunch of sidebars in character creation that talk generally about what futzing with the dials does.

                                --
                                Leonard Balsera, Fate System Developer for Evil Hat Productions
                                lbalsera@...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 4, 2013
                                    On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Stephen Figgins <stephen@...> wrote:

                                    It has also been said that stunts will be more "oomphy."

                                    Some of them will be, yeah. Probably not to the degree some folks are expecting, probably more than some folks are expecting. Like, frex, some stunts only changed in terms of explaining what would happen if you *didn't* have the stunt. Some got stricken completely and replaced with new ones. Some had the actual effect revised, etc etc ad nauseam.