Re: [FateRPG] Re: Can extras have their own Fate points?

  • Joe Formoso
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
      On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, gremlin1384 wrote:

      > Fate Core's revised Extras chapter doesn't specifically show any
      > examples of extras with fate points of their own. However, according to
      > the Bronze Rule/Fate Fractal, there's no reason why an extra couldn't
      > have fate points of its own. They could be assumed as part of the
      > premise, or contributed by the PCs, or whatever.
      ----------
      Sounds great -- especially the idea of keeping refresh for the
      franchise low, and making sure its got problems that are going to put
      pressure on it. The standard "This building should be condemned" and
      "This magnificent feast represents the last of the petty cash" kinds of
      things as aspects. Heck, maybe it *only* has a Main Problem as an
      aspect to start the campaign, and if you want to get postive aspects
      (say, "But the kids love us"), you have to create them (likely against
      established opposition -- unfriendly newspaper, city hall, whoever).

      > And the GB franchise could have stress tracks, too, if you
      > wanted: "Containment Grid" stress?
      ----------
      I was thinking "Finances" and "Public Relations" as stress
      tracks. But "Containment Grid" is pretty great -- because you're just
      not really inhabiting the setting if you don't have the possibility of
      catastrophic containment failure.

      > So... basically what ReaperWolf said--Fate Core can handle it the same
      > way LoA did if you so choose.
      ----------
      An excellent suggestion -- this is where my lack of familiarity
      with *any* incarnation of Fate is a hindrance. Also, I wasn't entirely
      sure that there *wasn't* a method for handling an extra's Fate points
      in the revised Extras chapter, which I had just managed to miss.

      --Joe
    • Chester Mealer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
        Here's my take on it. Rarely is the organization going to "act" rather the players will be acting as members of the organization. So the org gets no FP, but you can compel the players based on the org's aspects and they'll get FP like normal, likewise they can tag the org's aspect(s) as if it was their own.

        The main skill I could see the org having is "resources" most of the other skills are the result of a specific individual completing the task. For times when it really is about the organization it'll likely still be a player acting as the org, so just give compel FP to that player and let any player spend the FP to tag the aspect on behalf of the organization.

        The main effect of this is simplified book-keeping, which is not to be underestimated.

        Chester Mealer