Re: Can extras have their own Fate points?

  • gremlin1384
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
      Fate Core's revised Extras chapter doesn't specifically show any examples of extras with fate points of their own. However, according to the Bronze Rule/Fate Fractal, there's no reason why an extra couldn't have fate points of its own. They could be assumed as part of the premise, or contributed by the PCs, or whatever. And the GB franchise could have stress tracks, too, if you wanted: "Containment Grid" stress?

      So... basically what ReaperWolf said--Fate Core can handle it the same way LoA did if you so choose.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "ReaperWolf" <lilcoyote@...> wrote:

      > The GB franchise would be an Organization with it's own skills, aspects, and Fate Points which the PCs controlled provided the franchise wasn't revoked by the parent GBI Organization.
      >
      > No idea how FATE Core handles organizations but this is how Starblazer Adventures/Legends of Anglerre would handle it.
      >
      > >>ReaperWolf

    • Joe Formoso
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
        On Sat, 23 Feb 2013, J B Bell wrote:

        > For Ghostbusters specifically, you want the players to be scrambling
        > to keep the franchise alive. I'd give it a refresh of no more than
        > one or two, or maybe none at all. Lean hard on the franchise so that
        > it's gasping for Fate points. Then allow players (with suitable
        > narrative justification) to spend their own Fate points to invoke the
        > franchise's Aspects when it comes to the crunch and the franchise is
        > out of its own Fate supply.
        ----------
        That's a great idea -- the franchise would get a low refresh,
        and then players *can* spend their own Fate points with appropriate
        justification. Compels on the franchise go to the franchise.

        > Another idea would be to steal Diaspora's Wealth stress track. In that
        > game you must pay to keep up your ship. The roll to handle upkeep
        > always "succeeds", but any lack of shifts must be made up by doing
        > what Fate Core would call "succeeding at cost". Maybe have a shared
        > challenge at the end of every session, modified by how well PCs worked
        > to help out the business, with one lead player who has the best skill
        > at doing business (bureaucracy?).
        ----------
        I've never played Diaspora, but I think I follow the gist, and
        it sounds good. I was thinking that a "Finances" stress track for the
        franchise would be appropriate, along with a "PR" stress track.

        > Please post your actual play as this game progresses, it's a great
        > universe to play in.
        ----------
        In truth, I wasn't even thinking about playing it until the
        thread started up on RPG.net. Now that I've seen so many great ideas,
        I'm thinking pretty seriously about giving it a swing. As I've never
        played Fate (either as a GM or a player), that should be pretty funny.

        But should I give it a shot, I'll definitely keep (and share)
        notes.

        --Joe
      • Joe Formoso
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
          On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, gremlin1384 wrote:

          > Fate Core's revised Extras chapter doesn't specifically show any
          > examples of extras with fate points of their own. However, according to
          > the Bronze Rule/Fate Fractal, there's no reason why an extra couldn't
          > have fate points of its own. They could be assumed as part of the
          > premise, or contributed by the PCs, or whatever.
          ----------
          Sounds great -- especially the idea of keeping refresh for the
          franchise low, and making sure its got problems that are going to put
          pressure on it. The standard "This building should be condemned" and
          "This magnificent feast represents the last of the petty cash" kinds of
          things as aspects. Heck, maybe it *only* has a Main Problem as an
          aspect to start the campaign, and if you want to get postive aspects
          (say, "But the kids love us"), you have to create them (likely against
          established opposition -- unfriendly newspaper, city hall, whoever).

          > And the GB franchise could have stress tracks, too, if you
          > wanted: "Containment Grid" stress?
          ----------
          I was thinking "Finances" and "Public Relations" as stress
          tracks. But "Containment Grid" is pretty great -- because you're just
          not really inhabiting the setting if you don't have the possibility of
          catastrophic containment failure.

          > So... basically what ReaperWolf said--Fate Core can handle it the same
          > way LoA did if you so choose.
          ----------
          An excellent suggestion -- this is where my lack of familiarity
          with *any* incarnation of Fate is a hindrance. Also, I wasn't entirely
          sure that there *wasn't* a method for handling an extra's Fate points
          in the revised Extras chapter, which I had just managed to miss.

          --Joe
        • Chester Mealer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
            Here's my take on it. Rarely is the organization going to "act" rather the players will be acting as members of the organization. So the org gets no FP, but you can compel the players based on the org's aspects and they'll get FP like normal, likewise they can tag the org's aspect(s) as if it was their own.

            The main skill I could see the org having is "resources" most of the other skills are the result of a specific individual completing the task. For times when it really is about the organization it'll likely still be a player acting as the org, so just give compel FP to that player and let any player spend the FP to tag the aspect on behalf of the organization.

            The main effect of this is simplified book-keeping, which is not to be underestimated.

            Chester Mealer