Re: [FateRPG] Defiling in Dark Sun

  • Travis Heldibridle
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Chris Flipse <cflipse@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Dan Behlings <nevenall@...> wrote:

      So normal spell casting has no effect on an area? Only when someone taps deeply into the local lifeforce does it start to drain?
      Traditionally in gameplay, it doesn't.  logically, and in the books, it's not so cut and dry.

      It isn't that the power has to come from somewhere. Defiling is a 'dark path to easy power' situation. It's very eco-jedi.

      I see the difference as a player vs character decision. The character may have no desire to defile. The player however knows his character is in a bad way and really needs a big success here, so the player chooses to defile and then the character gets to deal with the consequences of that choice. Fun times!

      The tagging in the second pass probably mixes in with the first pretty easily.  Defiling as a worry is probably a lot of extra tracking and fiddlyness, and essentially punishes you for rolling well.  I might go that way if I was playing a high number of sorcerers in the group (say, a Veiled Alliance campaign) or if I was trying to emphasis a "fine line" kind of theme.  Otherwise, the simpler second track seems the more fate-like path.

      I agree. I also think you want to avoid fiddly with Dark Sun because, in my mind, you have multiple magic systems to contend with. Arcane (preserver vs defiler), elemental (cleric/druid), templar, and psionics. That could get fiddly enough, even with simple magic systems.

    • Village6
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
        That is brilliant. Thanks, you've taught me my 'thing for the day' and my collected knowledge has been augmented.
        - #6