Re: [FateRPG] Defiling in Dark Sun

  • Chris Flipse
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Dan Behlings <nevenall@...> wrote:

      So normal spell casting has no effect on an area? Only when someone taps deeply into the local lifeforce does it start to drain?

      Traditionally in gameplay, it doesn't.  logically, and in the books, it's not so cut and dry.  There's at least one scene where the main wizard character misjudges and defiles by accident .... Though I could see that being a compel against her _tempted by power_ aspect, rather than something that needs to be constantly juggled.

      I would consider allowing casters to inflict a consequence on an area and translate the value of that consequence into a bonus. Mild +2, Moderate +4, Severe +6. Maybe even an Extreme consequence to permanently defile the area. Lush areas can have more consequence slots then others. And someone could conceivable tend the area for a while to give it a pretext to recovery.

      I had though about using aspects as defiling indicators ... I hadn't thought about concequences specifically.  That fits really well, I think.  Need an extra boost to the spell?  Inflict a concequence on the environment, and you're supercharged.  No FP cost, just some seriously bad karma.

      I'm feeling two ideas here:
      Defiling is a constant worry.  The zone has a vegitation skill level, a stress track, and a number of concequences available.  Sorcerer casts spell, (1 roll) and proceeds as normal against opponent defenses.  Additionally, same value is compared against the zones vegitation, and stress marked off accordingly.  For a stunt, the wizard can use her own stress to make up the difference.  Concequences on the zone reduce stress accordingly, but will make it -obvious- the sorcerer is spellcasting.  A zone that's taken out becomes Defiled, and you can't cast spells in that zone anymore.  And, hrm, with Spells as Extras, some spells could inflict more, or less, environmental stress than the baseline.

      Defiling is a decision.  The scene / zone has a number of defiling Concequences availble.  You can freely inflict a concequence to give a boost to your sorcery roll, giving you some extra oomph when it's needed.  Concequences can be invoked to make subsequent spellcasting harder, as you now have less to work with.

      The tagging in the second pass probably mixes in with the first pretty easily.  Defiling as a worry is probably a lot of extra tracking and fiddlyness, and essentially punishes you for rolling well.  I might go that way if I was playing a high number of sorcerers in the group (say, a Veiled Alliance campaign) or if I was trying to emphasis a "fine line" kind of theme.  Otherwise, the simpler second track seems the more fate-like path.

      To: FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
      From: travis.heldibridle@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:15:44 -0500
      Subject: Re: [FateRPG] Defiling in Dark Sun

      I was the Dark Sun DM in my hometown, so I'll be interested to follow along with this. I haven't thought of using FATE Core for it, but it could certainly be fun!

      I'd avoid a fixed spell list system. One of the things I loved about the books is that they used names for spells (I think one was "ghostfire") that weren't familiar to me. I might have more ideas for the actual magic system once I get home to my Fate files.

      I agree that you don't really need vancian style magic to maintain the feel of this setting, so long as magic is balanced against the abilities of non-casters.

      I think the spell component issue is important. I would absolutely keep them, and their black market status, as part of the flavor of the setting.

      You could certainly use stress tracks for defiling. I am a *big* fan on the fate fractal. The only issue I have with that is that, with every spell, you have to resolve both the spell action and the defile action on the zone. If you are ok with that, then you're good to go. I might consider using aspects instead. A zone has a life force aspect of some sort. The zone has a number of free tags on it determined by the level of life force found in it (i.e. 5 for lush forest, 2 for scrub, and 0 for barren desert). A magic user may make use of these free tags to power her magic, while a preserver would choose not to tap into that free power. This opens up the possibility to tap the aspect after the free uses are gone to "draw on the last remnants of life", while other zones might have a "defiled" aspect indicating that they've been completely wasted by defiler magic and cannot be tapped for resources even through Fate Points.

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Stuart Broz <zorbtrauts@...> wrote:

      Give Zones a stress track. Spells do damage to it. Consequences can be short to long term Defilement. Zones that are taken out are permanently Defiled.

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse@...> wrote:
      1) (arcane) magic draws it's energy from the plant life around the caster
      1a) It's possible to draw the energy in a controlled fashion
      1b) When careless, or agressive, the sorcerer can end up destroying all plant life in his radius, leaving the area defiled and unable to support life.  Possibly, this supercharges the spell.
      2) Magic requires material components, sometimes consumed, sometimes not.  This is actually mentioned in the books, and is one of the points of control over wizards; components are traded on the black market, and possession of spell components is quite illegal.
      3) While it's a D&D setting, I don't currently recall that the idea of a spell disappearing from memory ever figures into the stories.

      --
      :wq
    • Travis Heldibridle
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
        On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Chris Flipse <cflipse@...> wrote:

        On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Dan Behlings <nevenall@...> wrote:

        So normal spell casting has no effect on an area? Only when someone taps deeply into the local lifeforce does it start to drain?
        Traditionally in gameplay, it doesn't.  logically, and in the books, it's not so cut and dry.

        It isn't that the power has to come from somewhere. Defiling is a 'dark path to easy power' situation. It's very eco-jedi.

        I see the difference as a player vs character decision. The character may have no desire to defile. The player however knows his character is in a bad way and really needs a big success here, so the player chooses to defile and then the character gets to deal with the consequences of that choice. Fun times!

        The tagging in the second pass probably mixes in with the first pretty easily.  Defiling as a worry is probably a lot of extra tracking and fiddlyness, and essentially punishes you for rolling well.  I might go that way if I was playing a high number of sorcerers in the group (say, a Veiled Alliance campaign) or if I was trying to emphasis a "fine line" kind of theme.  Otherwise, the simpler second track seems the more fate-like path.

        I agree. I also think you want to avoid fiddly with Dark Sun because, in my mind, you have multiple magic systems to contend with. Arcane (preserver vs defiler), elemental (cleric/druid), templar, and psionics. That could get fiddly enough, even with simple magic systems.

      • Village6
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
          That is brilliant. Thanks, you've taught me my 'thing for the day' and my collected knowledge has been augmented.
          - #6