Re: [FateRPG] Re: Dark Age Britain, powered by FATE

  • Douglas Laedtke
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
      Per the last page of the preview, the FATE in questions is heavily Diaspora-influenced. So it looks to be FATE 3.

      And yeah, color me intrigued as well. This will certainly end up on my FATE shelf…

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Evermore, Dustin S [ITSYS] wrote:

      I'm intrigued! What version of Fate will be used?

      D Evermore

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Undead Trout <undead.trout@...> wrote:

      The table of contents and first chapter of Age Of Arthur, for interested parties.

      http://wordplaygames.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/AgeOfArthurSample.pdf

      --
      M. Schwartz  —  undead.trout@...
      ~  Always Something Fishy Going On™  ~

    • Undead Trout
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
        Diaspora was chosen for its grittier / crunchier take on combat, I believe. Age Of Arthur is meant to have a more historical Arthurian feel.

        --
        M. Schwartz  —  undead.trout@...
        ~  Always Something Fishy Going On™  ~
      • loconius2
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
          How is diaspora more gritty than the new fate core?

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
            On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM, loconius2 <loconius@...> wrote:
            How is diaspora more gritty than the new fate core?

            There are limitations on how Aspects may be used, for example. They must be invoked before the roll, to give a bonus; after, they can only provide a re-roll. Also, the way Stress and Consequences work makes combat more of a risky proposition.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
              Oh I forgot about that, and that a defense roll is only rolled once and stays on the table for the entire round!

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Undead Trout <undead.trout@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM, loconius2 <loconius@...> wrote:
              >
              > > How is diaspora more gritty than the new fate core?
              > >

              > There are limitations on how Aspects may be used, for example. They must be
              > invoked before the roll, to give a bonus; after, they can only provide a
              > re-roll. Also, the way Stress and Consequences work makes combat more of a
              > risky proposition.
              >

              > --
              > M. Schwartz â€" undead.trout@...
              > ~ Always Something Fishy Going On™ ~

            • J B Bell
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                I'm pretty sure that fate point expenditures for +2 are allowed post-roll in Diaspora. Do you have a page for where it says you can only spend such points pre-roll?

                --JB

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Undead Trout wrote:

                > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM, loconius2 wrote:
                >
                > > How is diaspora more gritty than the new fate core?
                > >

                > There are limitations on how Aspects may be used, for example. They must be
                > invoked before the roll, to give a bonus; after, they can only provide a
                > re-roll. Also, the way Stress and Consequences work makes combat more of a
                > risky proposition.
                >

                > --
                > M. Schwartz â€" undead.trout@...
                > ~ Always Something Fishy Going Onâ„¢ ~

              • Brad Murray
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                  Whatever the rules say, the way I *play* is that fate points can happen any time because, really, who cares.

                  On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM, J B Bell <tquidca@...> wrote:

                  I'm pretty sure that fate point expenditures for +2 are allowed post-roll in Diaspora. Do you have a page for where it says you can only spend such points pre-roll?

                  --JB

                  On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM, loconius2 <loconius@...> wrote:

                  Oh I forgot about that, and that a defense roll is only rolled once and stays on the table for the entire round!

                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Undead Trout wrote:

                  > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM, loconius2 wrote:
                  >
                  > > How is diaspora more gritty than the new fate core?
                  > >

                  > There are limitations on how Aspects may be used, for example. They must be
                  > invoked before the roll, to give a bonus; after, they can only provide a
                  > re-roll. Also, the way Stress and Consequences work makes combat more of a
                  > risky proposition.
                  >

                  > --
                  > M. Schwartz â€" undead.trout@...
                  > ~ Always Something Fishy Going Onâ„¢ ~

                  --
                  Brad Murray (halfjack)
                  VSCA Publishing
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 22, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I'm one of the two Age of Arthur authors, so I thought I'd thank Michael for mentioning the game here, and also join the discussion!

                    To answer the last question, although Age of Arthur is based on the Diaspora take on FATE, it's based on it in much the same way that Diaspora is based on Spirit of the Century, and we've diverged from it in several ways. In particular, the rule that Aspects must be invoked before a roll to give a bonus is new to Age of Arthur.

                    I'm happy to answer other questions about the game.

                    Best,

                    Paul

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, J B Bell <tquidca@...> wrote:

                    > I'm pretty sure that fate point expenditures for +2 are allowed post-roll
                    > in Diaspora. Do you have a page for where it says you can only spend such
                    > points pre-roll?
                    >
                    > --JB

                  • paul_mitchener
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
                      Hi again,

                      I just thought I'd mention that Age of Arthur is now available in PDF from rpg.now:

                      http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=111752

                      We estimate May for the print version. If you buy the game in pdf, you'll get a $15 discount voucher for the print version when it's released, so the price of buying the pdf now and print later is the same as a print+pdf bundle when it's available.

                      If you're not interested, apologies for sending an ad to your inbox :-)

                      Best,

                      Paul
                    • paul_mitchener
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        I thought some people might be interested in knowing that the Fate-based Age of Arthur RPG is now available in both print and PDF, over on DrivethruRpg and RPGNow. Prices are:

                        PDF Only: $15 (approximately £10)
                        Black and White Paperback: $23 (approximately £15)
                        Black and White Hardback: $28 (approximately £18.50)
                        Premium Colour Paperback: $45 (approximately £29)
                        Premium Colour Hardback: $50 (approximately £32.50)
                        (all plus any postage and packaging costs)

                        The print versions include the PDF at no extra cost.

                        Those who have already purchased the PDF should have been sent discount codes for all of the different print versions. If you haven't got the codes (and they're not in your spam folder ;-) ) and want them, then please get in touch!

                        Here's a link:
                        http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/111752/Age-of-Arthur

                        All the best,

                        Paul