Re: [FateRPG] Fate Core Werewolves

  • PK Levine
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
      On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 05:47:28 pm Tim K. wrote:
      > In this case its for a fantasy game where he's a cop, and has control
      > most of the time (certain environmental/effects trigger it as well. The
      > moon, blooming wolfsbane, etc.)
      >
      > In society he's just another monster--like goblins, ogres, etc, that is
      > a member of society they put up with as long as he follows the rules.

      Okay, so he can shift at will, but can also be compelled to shift. There are
      no social effects from it, and no "add-ons" like regeneration/silver/etc.

      This is an extra which (IMO) should cost an aspect and a stunt.

      ASPECT: Invoke for heightened senses in any form, great strength and speed in
      wolfman form, to track or fit in as an animal in wolf form, etc. Compel to have
      a trigger show up unexpectedly, to lose your temper, to act bestial, etc.

      STUNT: You can shift forms. For each form, reassign up to 2 skill points to
      reflect this change (e.g., in wolfman form you might have +1 Athletics and
      Physique but -1 Deceit and Rapport). Set this when you take this extra; you
      may shift it as part of a minor milestone. The GM will also take your current
      form into account when determining modifiers, opposition, and other miscellany
      (e.g., as a wolf, you're faster than a human but have no manual dexterity).

      I think the stunt cost is fair despite not giving actual *bonuses*, because
      you have two forms to choose from and can easily shift to the one that gives
      you the best skills in a given situation. Tag the aspect when you feel like
      being a super-powerful wolfman.

      PK
    • dave_joria
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
        In my untested Skeleton Crew RPG, here's my entry on werewolves (any feedback would be appreciated)

        WERES
        One man to another is a wolf, not a man, when he doesn't know what sort he is.
        -Plautus.

        Werecreatures, also called lycanthropes, are ferocious creature that bridge the gap between humanity and savagery. They embody either the best of both worlds, or the worst.
        The origin of weres came about near the dawn of time. Like vampires, they are the product of a prehistoric blood ritual gone awry. A shaman tapped into the power of an animal totem, only to draw dig too deep. The result is a curse that spreads like a virus, transferring between humans and animals. If left untreated, a bite from a were can spread through the body, poisoning it. When the victim's heart stops, and the victim will either reawaken as a were or remain dead- which result is preferable is a difficult call. Once the victim has been born again, the curse is permanent.
        A were, unlike a vampire, naturally soaks up energy without the need for a victim. A were is like a volcano- he stores energy slowly until the end of the month. About the same time as the full moon, the energy becomes too great for a were's body to hold, and he turns inside out like a popcorn kernel. The humanity fades behind a creature that hungers for meat. The result is a humanoid that shambles on two upright legs, neither man nor beast.
        With training, a were can learn to keep most of his humanity, even while crossing over. He can also learn to trigger his transformation on cue, although a voluntary transformation can drain a massive amount of energy from the host; it can't be turned on and off like a light-switch. Even a seasoned werewolf finds himself struggling with his instincts- much like a training a dog that happens to be himself.
        Of the different werebreeds, werewolves are the most infamous. However, the curse has spread to many other species; in Africa are werelions and leopards; werebats are found in South America; in Asia, locals tell of weretigers; Native Americans speak of werebears. There are werecreatures of nearly any animal- rat, cat, crocodile, goat, ferret, platypus, lemur, shark, and everything else.
        If the were finds others of the same type, it might start a pack, herd, or family of its own. A child born of were parents will often inherit the curse, born as the child of two worlds.

        Playing a Were
        This section is to help you create a werecreature to transitions from a human to a half-human creature. Take your pick which animal: wolves, bulls, komodo dragons, birds, bats, ,sharks, dolphins, whatever. Feel free to adapt it to your own tastes.

        It also helps if you keep in mind HOW you want your werewolf to appear. There are several ways that you can imagine a person transforming into a werewolf. Pick the one that fits the style of your character and gaming group:

        25% Animal – This is the least drastic version, with the character keeping a mostly human shape. When changing, his or her hands will become more clawlike. If he or she is a were wolf, bear, rat, or anything else with fur, he or she will quickly grow thick hair over the whole body. It is also possible for the head to change into the shape of the animal, although the character is often still able to speak. If the character is more likely keeps his or her wits, it can change back and forth without losing its clothing.
        For players that: Want a lighter character is who pops in and out of were-form, but can still interact with the other characters.

        50% Animal – The Human turns into something that is half-human and half animal. It will have a shaky pair of hind legs, and easily distinguishable from a normal animal. The size of the creature will often be the middle ground between the human and the animal- ex. A werebadger will be halfway between the size of a human (6 feet) and a badger (3 feet), for an average of 4-5 feet. The 50% human type can often be seen as a curse- the character is stuck with the body that is neither man nor beast, but a clear abomination.
        For Players That: Want to play a darker character- a creature that changes into a monster against his will or only in the most desperate of situations.

        100% Animal – The human is capable of switching from a human form, to one that is completely animal. In animal form, it can blend in with any other animal of the same type, and might even be able to communicate with animals (or, with special abilities, ANY animals.) In animal form, the character will obviously have to resist instinctive distractions, but whether the character has ANY amount of human wits depends on how you write the character (ex. Maybe the character is in complete control unless it's the full moon). Changing back and forth will require the character ditching or destroying most clothing he has on him.
        For Players that: Aren't afraid of playing a character with 2 extremes, nor is worried about adding on extra limitations. Especially good for animal lovers who don't mind playing a character that is occasionally four legged and has trouble with doorknobs.

        Rules for a Werecreature
        There are several ways people can choose to represent a Werewolf. Our recommendation is through Skills (if you haven't hit that section yet, just skip over this part until then). We've found the simplest way to handle it is to have certain skills that are focused when your character is a human, and others to focus when you are in bestial form.

        Version 1 – Double Skills
        The Double Skills version has certain skills split in half- when the player is a human, he uses all of the Human Skills (in this case, Rapport +4 and Craft). When the character is in beast form, he loses those two and gains Melee +4 and Intimidation +3. This makes sense, as a motor cycle builder might have with a silver tongue when he's a human, but as a wolf he might be better at fighting and growling. Certain skills (like Physique) do NOT switch over and remain constant. If going with this version, we recommend you start with no more than 1 Swapped skill at any given level. We also recommend that skills that boost your stats like Physique and Will are NOT swapped, as this would cause your Stress meter to drop up and down (and besides, Weres are pretty tough even in human form.)

        Version 2 – Swap Skills
        In this version, the player has the exact same set of skills at all times, but they swap levels.

        So, a Were-dog private detective might have Investigation +4 and Burglary +3, with a mere Melee +2 and Survival +1, but when he's in beast form, these skills are flipped. He now has Survival +4 (yay animal instincts), Melee +3, Burglary +2 (sneaky, but harder time with door knobs), and Investigation +1 (won't be dusting any prints down there.) We recommend no more than half of your skills are swappable. We also recommend that skills that boost your stats like Physique and Will are NOT swapped, as this would cause your Stress meter to drop up and down (and besides, Weres are pretty tough even in human form.)
        Switching over- in either version, the Character can spend a fate point to switch from one form to the other. If in combat, this takes a full round of action to switch. The GM can determine if there are certain situations that the character cannot switch (or worse still, can't switch BACK).

        Werecreature Classes
        Common Classes: It is common for Weres can have the following classes: Fighters, Mystics, Mediums, Magic Users, Researcher. They cannot play Priests or Mad Scientists unless your GM agrees (so better invent a good reason.)

        Example Aspects: Hard to Kill; Animal Instincts; You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry; That Time of the Month; Aaaand I'm Naked Again; BaconBaconBACON!; Follow Your Nose; Gets My Hackles Up!; Spidey-Sense Tingling; Call of the Wild; Autobots Transform!; Reluctant Streaker

        Invoke When: Scaring others, Relating with other Undead, Communing or Intimidating Wildlife, Extending senses

        Compel When: Changing involuntarily (when angered, cursed, and/or moonlight, etc); Repelled by holy magic and silver; Dealing with Alpha personalities; Trying to get skittish animals to cooperate; acting civilized; resisting baser instincts.

        Werecreature Variants – Beastmen
        While the rules above can be used to make a werecreature, there's nothing to say you can't cut out the transforming part and make a character that is constantly a human/animal mix. Maybe it was an artificially created being, like Island of Dr. Moreau. There are also rumors of magical races of half-humans, like Indian Monkeymen or Greek Minotaurs.

        Werecreature Variant – Shapeshifter
        Shapeshifters are humans that transform into an animal through the use of an animal skin. By wearing the skin, the user can magically take the form of the animal. In Scandenavia, there are the wolfskin wearing Ulfhednar and the bearskin wearing Berserkers. In Africa, there are wizards that can turn into lions, hunting on fellow humans with impunity. In Ireland, there are the sealskin-wearing Selkies. However, even though the curse is not engrained in the wearer, the skin-walker still suffers the same lack of reason that a werecreature suffers. Worse still, the Skin-walker needs the totem, otherwise he cannot transfer over. The greatest of all shapeshifters are the Skinwalkers; Navajo sorcerers that can change into different animals depending on which skin he dons. A skinwalker practices dark magic, and complete his or her apprenticeship by murdering a member of his or her own family.
      • Brett Ritter
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
          On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM, dave_joria <dave.joria@...> wrote:
          > Especially good for animal lovers who don't mind playing a character that is occasionally four legged and has trouble with doorknobs.

          I do not want to ignore the great work on the rest of this, but I'm
          currently overwhelmed by the need to shake my head and say "raptors".

          http://25.media.tumblr.com/34e26e72b74660cc1c47395b0eff66da/tumblr_mgmdlwCAFc1qayxw3o1_500.jpg
          --
          Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
          swiftone@...
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
            Ha! Well, Skeleton Crew does already have undead raptors - http://tangentartists.com/skeletoncrew/skeletoncrew_155.html

            But were-raptors are definitely making their way into the rulebook. Thanks for the idea!
          • Jonathan Lang
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
              Why do they need to be "were-"?

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 20, 2013
                On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Jonathan Lang <dataweaver@...> wrote:
                > Why do they need to be "were-"?

                because one should always beware raptors!

                ...thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week
                --
                Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
                swiftone@...