Communities vs Individuals?

  • loconius2
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2013
      Can an npc community act on an individual using the fighting skill or other conflict skills? Scale applies to various size communities, but does it apply to an individual? What about an individual attacking a community?

      Chris
    • Dragon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
        This falls into the FATE Fractal. Any thing can be staged up into a character to interact with things of its level. Wether its ships...fleets...people..goverments..planets.

        Starblazer Adventure uses scale like this very active, and also references how much you can do.

        Primarily that you can affect someone up to 1 levels in either direction of you. So a person is a 1. and I believe a small orgnaizational group is a 2. A 3 on the other hand is a larger scale organization with 100 or more members, and a single person would not be able to appreciably affect them.

        It also uses this mechanic more flexibily..in that if a PC is guiding didirectly an organization..they can affect 2 wider than their normal. So 100 person group run by a group of PCs could affect a moderate sized goverment.

        If your talking directly using a fighting skill though..thats just gonna be a horde of extras, and they just would all be rated as the fighting skill of the organization.

        I think perhaps you have a more specific question your asking though so perhaps more detailed clarification is in order?

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "loconius2" <loconius@...> wrote:

        > Can an npc community act on an individual using the fighting skill or other conflict skills? Scale applies to various size communities, but does it apply to an individual? What about an individual attacking a community?
        >
        > Chris

      • loconius2
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
          One player is playing an organization is why I'm curious; and how that will effect his teamwork with the other two players who are individuals. Figure head was one idea, but then are all his skills 0 since he put all skills into his organization scale skills?

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Dragon" <riley.crowder@...> wrote:

          > This falls into the FATE Fractal. Any thing can be staged up into a character to interact with things of its level. Wether its ships...fleets...people..goverments..planets.
          >
          > Starblazer Adventure uses scale like this very active, and also references how much you can do.
          >
          > Primarily that you can affect someone up to 1 levels in either direction of you. So a person is a 1. and I believe a small orgnaizational group is a 2. A 3 on the other hand is a larger scale organization with 100 or more members, and a single person would not be able to appreciably affect them.
          >
          > It also uses this mechanic more flexibily..in that if a PC is guiding didirectly an organization..they can affect 2 wider than their normal. So 100 person group run by a group of PCs could affect a moderate sized goverment.
          >
          > If your talking directly using a fighting skill though..thats just gonna be a horde of extras, and they just would all be rated as the fighting skill of the organization.
          >
          > I think perhaps you have a more specific question your asking though so perhaps more detailed clarification is in order?
          >
          > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "loconius2" <loconius@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can an npc community act on an individual using the fighting skill or other conflict skills? Scale applies to various size communities, but does it apply to an individual? What about an individual attacking a community?
          > >
          > > Chris

        • Riley Crowder
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
            I think perhaps we are missing too much information to give an adaquate answer.

            So you have 2 players playing characters, and one player who is playing an organization rather than a person. Thats an unusual group, and I think we needs a better explination of how that fits in your group structure and what the group dynamic is built around.

            It sound like you might need to make some more house rule style mods to make that work for your situation, and I could make some suggestions but id like to better understand the nature of the dynamic first before I did.

            The FATE Fractal is likely very relevant in this situation but I am not quite sure how yet.

            Riley
            2a. Re: Communities vs Individuals?
            Posted by: "loconius2" loconius@... loconius2
            Date: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm ((PST))