Re: [FateRPG] New elemental magic system -- thoughts?

  • Jon Lang
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, PK Levine <pkitty@...> wrote:
      On Sunday, February 17, 2013 05:52:46 pm Jon Lang wrote:
      > First of all: what's the setting like? One of the central tenets of the
      > Magic Toolkit is that a magic system cannot be divorced from the setting.

      Oh, right, sorry. Should've talked about it.

      For those of you familiar with GURPS Banestorm, it's Yrth. The group just felt
      like Fate would fit the needs of our players right now better than GURPS.

      Ah; that says a lot.  Thank you.  Note that the Extras chapter briefly alludes to the possibility of using a stress track to represent mana usage, something that's very much in keeping with Yrth-style magic.

      Basically, the concern here is that, between these five skills, you can
      accomplish pretty much any action. So it would be unfair to say that a normal
      person needs to be good at (say) 18 skills to be a master of everything in
      this game, but a mage need only be good at 5 to be just as awesome and
      versatile. The way to avoid this is for there to be some sort of limit -- some
      reason why the thief picks the lock instead of the mage always casting a
      "lockpicking" spell, why the fighter guards the doorway instead of the mage
      always casting a "barrier" spell, and so on. Magic needs a *fundamental*
      drawback.

      Got it.  Charging Refresh is part of the solution; as is limiting how often it can be used (the aforementioned "mana stress track" idea).  It also opens possibilities of using the narrative structure to restrict the Elemental Skills from being used at all in certain circumstances, such as low-mana areas (IIRC, there's an entire kingdom on Yrth that exists in an area where magic is weak), which could take the form of upping the opposition to all spellcasting while there or increasing the amount of stress that your spellcasting puts on the local mana supply.

      --
      Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang
    • PK Levine
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
        On Sunday, February 17, 2013 06:17:09 pm PK Levine wrote:
        > For those of you familiar with GURPS Banestorm, it's Yrth. The group just
        > felt like Fate would fit the needs of our players right now better than
        > GURPS.

        Also, in case anyone's interested, I "converted" the racial templates into
        Fate Core terms -- basically, a text description with plenty of adjectives to
        tag and compel, along with a few mechanics when necessary:

        http://peekitty.livejournal.com/13203.html

        Obviously, our plan is to just work the race into one of your aspects. A few
        races will have prerequisites in the form of minimum skills (e.g., dwarves
        need Crafts at Average (+1) or better, to reflect the big skill bonus they get
        in GURPS) and a very few are unbalanced enough to require a point of Refresh.

        PK
      • PK Levine
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
          Glad everyone seemed to like this system. If anyone wants to use it, I thought
          I'd share these two PDFs that we made:

          The Rules:
          http://www.mygurps.com/pics/fatemagic.pdf

          The Cheat Sheet and Spell Tracker:
          http://www.mygurps.com/pics/elemental.pdf

          (If you missed my original email and are curious, just see The Rules above.)

          PK