Re: Game Aspect: Passion Play

  • ian_orourke
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Fading Suns Narrator" <bill90595@...> wrote:

      > So, I'm not without skepticism re: this process, but it seems like FATE would be a lot better at implementing it, and implementing it on the fly.
      > I'm still very new to aspects in practice. Anyone have advice?

      As I've said in my first reply we are currently playing a Fate Fading Suns game and the short answer to your question is: Yes, the aspects do have the power to make the game more like a passion play.

      For us it hasn't been about strictly converting, but using the setting and adopting the Fate rules. So nothing from Fading Suns has been converted directly and I've mad the odd tweak like removing miracles as I didn't want them to be mechanical. We are also playing with the science and religion angle by making them not that different. Is 'magic' just science we don't understand? Are the Empyrean angels just advanced alien beings and does this matter? Probably not.

      Anyway, Aspects.

      The key is not have one specific aspect but layer the Passion Play awesome through the aspects. So, one of my players has the following Aspects for Act II.

      Concept: Heir to House Hawkwood
      Issue: Return Honour to House Hawkwood
      1: Man Up and Accept Your Glorious Death
      2: One Million Souls Beneath My Heel
      3: One Million Souls to Atone For
      4: You Are The Leader, Spoke the Vau
      5: Crusader against the Darkness Beyond the Stars

      These aspects are woven with the passions that when the story is 're-told' will be why he was a mythical hero or villain in this grand war with the Darkness Beyond the Stars as the suns fade and everything is in play.

      He is heir to House Hawkwood and wants to return Honour to the house as well taking up the mantle of his position in the strands of the Vau prophecies (He is The Leader, other characters are The Legend, The Scientist, etc -whether they live up to that is part of the passion play).

      Then we have the issues of him being the Adama of House Hawkwood the Million Souls aspects, passionate stuff about being able to make horrible decisions and live with them.

      I'm not saying they are perfect but we sewed the passion play into the aspects. The characters had to be searching to achieve something and be dealing with big, passionate things as that is their place in the Universe.
    • Fading Suns Narrator
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
        Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Great example.

        I still may consider game aspects that reference something to do with passion play mode. But embedded advice about kinds of aspects seems a lot more organic.

        As far as conversion goes, I mostly mean I've worked out a skill list and distribution scheme loosely based on FS skills, benefices, & afflictions. I do feel like the skills of FS are a good example of how skills capture the flavor of a setting. I also noted a lot of blessings/curses as good springboards for aspects.

        Fortunately nobody expressed an interest in Psi, Theurgy, etc, so I have time to consider implementing these at my leisure.

        By any chance are you running with the War in the Heaven material as (part of) the long game? Answering the questions the absence of WitH:Pantheon left hanging has been one of my underlying motives/obsessions. If you had thoughts on it, I'd love to hear them.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Fading Suns Narrator" <bill90595@...> wrote:

          > Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Great example.
          >
          > By any chance are you running with the War in the Heaven material as (part of) the long game? Answering the questions the absence of WitH:Pantheon left hanging has been one of my underlying motives/obsessions. If you had thoughts on it, I'd love to hear them.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Fading Suns Narrator" <bill90595@...> wrote:

          > Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Great example.
          > By any chance are you running with the War in the Heaven material as (part of) the long game? Answering the questions the absence of WitH:Pantheon left hanging has been one of my underlying motives/obsessions. If you had thoughts on it, I'd love to hear them.
          -----

          Well, the quick answer is no. I actually don't even have any of the rule books anymore. So I just went with the material that was available legally on the web - largely summary stuff. Even when I did have some of the books the War in the Heavens stuff just made my head hurt.

          It's safe to say we are playing a setting with a very medievil feel rules by Dynastic House, The Church and The Guilds. We are also into the passion play. At the same time there are certainly Mass Effect and Babylon 5 issues in the mix - as well as Dune. One of the principle events was The Machine Crusade (sentient machines like in Dune) which caused the fall of the Second Republic, the fall out between science and religion and the Fading Suns also started shortly after this (in galactic terms).

          At the same time, a combination of my ideas and the way the game has gone in the first act means we are playing big. For various reasons to do with events and the desires of characters the endgame will no doubt decide the fate of the Imperium (or not), church and science and, for various other reasons, the Fading of the Suns (which is not just a physical issue).

          It really has developed quite well due to people being on the same page.

          I suppose I am saying we have created our own War in the Heaven style epic story - this is the third cycle, as one show might say, it has happened before and will happen again :)