Re: Negotiating stakes.

  • Ian O'Rourke
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 13, 2013
      I've always assumed setting stakes is essential, as it feeds into numerous things. I suppose I see it as follows.

      (1) Fate is great at leaving the granularity of stakes up to the situation and the group - one set of stakes may resolve a whole scene of big stuff, another roll may resolve smaller scale stuff. I'd always advocate setting them though.

      (2) I advocate setting them because the dice roll itself doesn't really set success or failure - it establishes the narrative resistance which need to be overcome via FP use (via aspects) in order to overcome that resistant which in turns shows the narrative difference between characters.

      You may be 3 shifts short of success, narrative resistance is high so you burn FP and succeed in a way that's unique to your character - the narrative of the outcome feel different even another character had the same roll with the same number of shifts.

      So set stakes, establish narrative resistance with the role, overcome that resistance, if any, with your FP and Aspects.

    • ian_orourke
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 16, 2013
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Balsera <lbalsera@...> wrote:

        > Functionally speaking? Not a whole lot, except in how the questions
        > you're answering relate to one another. The presentation is more about
        > shifting perspectives on how actions can interact than it is about
        > providing a whiz-bang new game mechanism. I get that this is
        > ephemeral, but it pays dividends in play.

        I see. As I've thought about it more and started to build up a box of tools for my game it's started to come out in the wash. I am understanding more a slight (or major? I'll leave that to others) of a shift to the four outcomes above other rule constructs. I like it I think.

        When you do break out from simple rolls or a challenge and move into say a contest - what are the scenarios for create advantage? I notice a lot of the examples are assuming it is the person in the contest creating an advantage?

        Can someone not in a context create an advantage for someone it? Can someone just create and advantage in a challenge for another but not have an outcome focused roll themselves? Etc.

        Ian