Re: [FateRPG] FATE and The Force

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 23, 2013
      Someone said something at one point (on the list, in a different thread) about taking consequences instead of spending fate points, to get the benefit of a fate point (a +2, etc.).  What if Darkside/Corruption, even Insanity or Cyber-Psychosis, are just that:

      in a moment of desperation, you take a consequence related to whichever type of corruption is in your setting, in exchange for the "instant Fate Point" you desperately need right then.  And now you've got something that can be compelled.  The more you do it, the more of these consequences you have (and bigger magnitudes), the more you're vulnerable to being further compelled.  Which leads me to a question:

      With invoking, you can only invoke a given Aspect once per roll (round/exchange?  is there a difference there?), but multiple Aspects can be invoked on a single roll.

      What about with compelling?  If someone accumulates multiple corruption consequences, can you sort of "wear down their resistance to temptation" by compelling one after the other ... making them run down on FP as they try to resist temptation?  It may seem dramatically "cheap", but I think it actually fits -- the more consequence you took, the more vulnerable you are to temptation, and the multiple compels embodies that -- multiple consequences means multiple paths to temptation, and the corruption is just running through them all at once.  And, if played out well (by the GM as the voice of temptation), it could actually be dramatically rich, instead of dramatically cheap.

      On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM, John Rudd <john@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Kurt Rauscher <krauscher@...> wrote:
      Yeah, it would require some updating.  Boxes on Aspects was back in Fate 2.0.  You could check off a box to use an Aspect, and spend a Fate point to uncheck a box.  SotC / Fate 3.x just got rid of that extra interaction step and gave you more Fate points to start with.

      Could probably be done with a stress track.

      0) The setting/scene has an aspect related to the temptation of corruption.  Anyone can invoke it at any time, for a FP.  The first time you invoke it (no corruption stress, no corruption consequences), you get the doubling effect.
      1) You have a corruption stress track with N boxes to begin with.  It doesn't clear at the end of a scene/milestone/etc.  See #3.
      2) Every time you invoke corruption (including the first time), you gain a corruption stress.
      3) When you fill the highest corruption stress box, you get the double-effect, you gain a corruption consequence (separate from other types of consequence, and only "heals" in special ways, not necessarily at milestones), and then the track immediately clears.  The length of the track also goes up by 1.
      4) Corruption Consequences have the same types as others:  Minor, Major, etc.   They're just separate/extra and are only filled by corruption.
      5) Your number of Corruption Consequences reduces your effective Refresh.  If your effective Refresh < 0, you're "Fallen".  Among other things, when you're Fallen, you no longer get the doubling effect.

      Does that factor in the worry about having extra stress tracks:  it says how/when the track clears, and how/when it increases.  Just have to decide what N is.

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 24, 2013
        You're thinking of "Consequences as Positive Currency," one of my favorite articles from faterpg.com.

        That could definitely work well, especially if you differentiate "corruption" consequences in terms of how they get cleared. One interesting side effect is that someone who dips into the dark side could end up as easier to Take Out (long term) because they have less Consequences at their disposal.

        On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM, John Rudd <johnkzin@...> wrote:

        Someone said something at one point (on the list, in a different thread) about taking consequences instead of spending fate points, to get the benefit of a fate point (a +2, etc.).  What if Darkside/Corruption, even Insanity or Cyber-Psychosis, are just that:
      • Kurt Rauscher
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 24, 2013
          That article is very interesting.  I rather like some of the implications of it.  Thank you for linking it! (And now I have more archives to search!)

          --
          Kurt Rauscher -:- krauscher@...

          "There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature.  Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."