Re: [FateRPG] Bestowing Fear

  • George Harnish
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2013
      You could shift your perception a bit. Retool it as creating an advantage of "Terrifying" on someone or something in the scene. Then you could tage *that* aspect for invoke/compel/boost situations.

      On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM, John Rudd <johnkzin@...> wrote:

      Lets say I want to cast a "cause fear" or "bestow fear" on someone.

      Do I "Declare they have an 'Afraid' temporary Aspect that lasts X exchanges"?  If so, how do mechanically make that happen (my casting skill against their Will skill?  how do the shifts factor into it?)
      (set aside, for now, that "Afraid" is very plain and kinda boring, in play, lets say we get a lot more detailed on the cause and form of the fear, or something)

      Ok, lets say I've made that happen.  Now they have a temporary Aspect of "Afraid", and I have a free tag on it, right?

      How exactly do I use that tag?  I'm not exactly invoking _their_ aspect to give THEM a +2...  and my understanding of a compel is that it isn't exactly a bonus/penalty as much as it is a fiat ("you can't do that, you're afraid").  But, if I'm fighting them in melee, and I want them to be cowering away from me (inhibiting their ability to fight back), how do I use that fear to my mechanical advantage?

      Or ... do I compel it to prevent them from taking counter-actions (you can't parry, counter-strike, nor attack without spending a fate point ... not sure about doding*)?  The first time I compel it for free (the free tag), but after that, I have to spend the fate point to compel it.

      Or am I on the right track about declaring fear on the other person, but missing something in the "how to make it work"?

      Or ... am I completely on the wrong path wrt to how to bestow fear on another character?

      (* I plan to have 4 basic defensive maneuvers for melee combat:
      a) parry (opposed attack vs defender's Warrior skill + weapon bonus, if the defender wins then nothing happens)
      b) dodge (unopposed attack vs defender's Expert skill)
      c) counter-strike (opposed attack vs defender's Warrior skill + weapon bonus, if the defender wins, then their shifts do damage to the attacker; costs the defender their action)
      d) just take it (unopposed attack vs defender's Warrior skill)
      So, that's what I meant above.)