Re: [FateRPG] Intimidation - Use & Overuse?

  • Sean Dalziel
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
      I like the idea of a horror factor which uses The Ladder as a descriptor.

      A mediocre level of horror +0
      A great level of horror +4

      And so this will describe the difficulty level or intimidation value.

      Great idea!

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
        You could just five the zombie a fear aura/unsettling aura that allows them to automatically make an intimidation attack using some other skill the first time someone encounters it

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
          Dave asked about "a passive 'madness test' with Intimidation" and inquired into "leaving it [to] the GM [to] use Intimidation for the first adventure or two and then [to] drop it for "mindless" monsters, once the group has been a little more seasoned."

          I suggested that "perhaps using Aspects to emulate this might be better, and more in keeping with RAW (the rules as written)," in response to which Dave asked:

          "You mean, permanent aspects that are a part of the characters (ex. Scaredy Cat), temporary aspects that come with a scary scene, or aspects with the characters being faced?"

          Before I respond, let me preface this by saying that I'm a total newb to FATE -- that while I *have* the FATE Core rulebook, I haven't read it yet -- and that my gaming group and I have only just recently acquired and read the Spirit of the Century rules, which we're using for a colonial America Revolutionary war game we're going to start next month. So, my exposure to this stuff is limited, is theoretical only (I haven't played any FATE games yet), and may be out-of-date since FATE seems to have evolved significantly since SotC.

          That said, I suppose any of the above three Aspect types could work. While I didn't necessarily have something as extreme as "Scaredy Cat" in mind as a permanent aspect, you *could* require each PC to take the aspect "Panzaic," an allusion to Cervantes' Sancho Panza, who, in stark contrast to counterpart Don Quixote, passed off anything fantastic in the world as being mundane and ordinary.

          Perhaps even better, you could make the aspect something like "Pre-Zombie Era Sensibilities" or somesuch. Whatever you call this permanent aspect, it's meant to represent that the character comes from a belief system where Zombies don't really exist and are just the stuff of scary B-movie fiction. Thus, when confronted with real zombies, the PC with this permanent aspect regards them with confusion and fear...at least at first.

          My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that one means of character advancement (in SotC, at least, if not in FATE Core) is the option to "swap out" permanent aspects over time. So, as PCs experience more and more of the Zombie invasion, one of the first "milestones" they can have is the replacement of "Pre-Zombie Era Sensibilities" with something that more closely describes the role they've come to take in the post-azombalyptic world: "Zombie Hunter," "rifleman," "post-apocalyptic civic leader", "forensic zombie-corpse examiner" or whatever.

          Temporary Aspects might be a fine alternative to the Permanent Aspect approach. Perhaps give each Zombie a Stunt that allows it to make an opposed Intimidation vs. Resolve check, with a success (by the Zombie) imposing a Temporary Aspect on the PC such as "Fleeing in Fear." Allow allies who have resisted the Zombie's Intimidation effects to make a Rapport roll at the difficulty level set by the original Intimidation roll to "snap" their ally "out of it", or at least to reduce the Temporary Aspect from "Fleeing in Fear" to a simple -1 to any combat skills against the Intimidating zombie/s or something.

          I'm not quite sure what you mean by "or aspects with the characters being faced," so I'm not sure how to respond. But these are a few ideas off the top of my head.

          Rob P.
        • R Petrone
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
            Jonathan Wells wrote: "How about just ditching the Intimidation skill, and give the scene a 'horror factor' based on the circumstances? The PCs roll their Will/Resolve against that to avoid getting a fear-related temporary aspect."

            That's a nice streamlined way to do it too, and is in line with my suggestion of a "scene aspect." Anytime 1-2 zombies is in view, the scene is given a Temporary Aspect of "Scary Zombies a-Comin'!" that creates a -- to borrow Jonathan's term -- "horror factor" against which the PCs must roll their Will/Resolve to avoid getting a fear-related temporary aspect. The "horror factor" increases by +1 for every 2 zombies that enter the PCs' view.

            Over time, as the PCs are exposed more to the Zombies, the horror factor can lessen and lessen until it's well into the negative numbers, thus requiring hordes of zombies to raise the horror factor to a level high enough to scare seasoned PCs.

            Rob P.
          • dinkster8
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "R Petrone" wrote:

              > Jonathan Wells wrote: "How about just ditching the Intimidation skill, and give the scene a 'horror factor' based on the circumstances? The PCs roll their Will/Resolve against that to avoid getting a fear-related temporary aspect."
              >
              > That's a nice streamlined way to do it too, and is in line with my suggestion of a "scene aspect." Anytime 1-2 zombies is in view, the scene is given a Temporary Aspect of "Scary Zombies a-Comin'!" that creates a -- to borrow Jonathan's term -- "horror factor" against which the PCs must roll their Will/Resolve to avoid getting a fear-related temporary aspect. The "horror factor" increases by +1 for every 2 zombies that enter the PCs' view.
              >
              > Over time, as the PCs are exposed more to the Zombies, the horror factor can lessen and lessen until it's well into the negative numbers, thus requiring hordes of zombies to raise the horror factor to a level high enough to scare seasoned PCs.
              >
              > Rob P.

              I like this way too. I think an opposed roll is the wrong way to go because if the characters roll low but the zombies roll lower the result is effectively "these zombies aren't good at being scary".
            • Brad Murray
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                This is related to a mechanism I built for No Contact, our wartime horror game in the works -- things with the Horror ability are deeply affecting, but only once. They don't continue to terrify you except insofar as the effect of their original Horror attack can be lasting.

                --
                Brad Murray (halfjack)
                VSCA Publishing
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                  I like the horror factor idea. I can see it as a Stat level for monsters- weak ones might have +1/2 or +1, while Lovecraftian horrors might be 2 each (or 3 for big bads). Failing a horror roll might give a scared-inspired temp aspect (not as specific as "Run Away", as the character can choose how he reacts... maybe he freezes on the spot or fumbles his weapon.)

                  So, to bring it home, how would I write that on a Character sheet? Stunt category? If it uses the ladder, should it be a pseudo-skill for NPCs only?