RE: [FateRPG] Re: Loot

  • James Malaspino
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
      A great way I can think of to explain how I'd suggest (and would use) for doing it would be to go over to Hulu and watch a couple episodes of the slayers anime.
      For examsample, early on (llike the first episode or two) one of the main heroes stomps a band of bandits and takes "bags if lewt" essentially.  Soon after, she goes through them to pick out the gems & transmute them magically into something magically active. In the process she happens to notice that there is an obviously valuable dagger.
      You could take that as "you fond a few bags of gold & gems" followed up by the assessment that succeeds with style to pick out the transmutable gems and saying there is some decorative dagger in the mix for the boost since her goal is to trade it all for something she wants to help improve her magic.

      Long story short, she haggles with some shopkeeper later, the dagger turns out to be cursed and the shopkeeper tries to kill her with it when be picks it up. At no point are hard numbers discussed, just fate style back and forth

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
        In FATE, wealth can really be just another way to justify advancement with fiction.  It's OK if the characters just "have a bunch of money".  It doesn't have to translate directly into Resources; a character might use the wealth to purchase something, like a bionic implant, for example.  If a character wants to use the money to make a permanent change in their character, you can use the advancement rules.

        If you want to give them a bunch of money before they have reach a milestone, I say just let them do the advancement early but when they reach the milestone, they've already "spent" it.

        There's a big difference between the way FATE and a lot of other RPGs (like D&D) handle equipment: important equipment (extras) is actually part of a character.  If a character finds something really useful (treasure, items, etc.), it might help for a scene or a story, but it's not going to last unless that character actually changes using advancement to gain new extras or whatever.

        Bill