Re: [FateRPG] Transguman Space on FATE?

  • Antoni Ten
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
      On 02/01/13 19:43, alexflipside wrote:
      > I am planning to run a duet using Transhuman Space as the setting and FATE Core as the rules. Can the wise greybeards of the forum recommend something I can read/use on the FATE side?
      >
      > I would need rules for cyberware, computer skulduggery and general sense for near-future roleplaying.
      >
      > Thank you all in advance!

      Warning, I'm GURPSoid who loves the system and even publishes some
      ramblings on Steve Jackson Games' Pyramid magazine.

      On the Fate side, I believe that everything you need is in Core.
      Transhuman Space is a very interesting setting (my favorite sci-fi
      setting in fact, I own all the books in dead tree, even if I haven't
      GMed because my skills are more for modern and fantasy settings), in a
      very crunchy system (GURPS). However, in FATE, IMHO, less is more. You
      don't need anything other than some reworking of the skill list (start
      by renaming Rapport to Memetics), and some custom stunts that you can
      easily derive from the Extras chapter.

      Some advice on how I would do it:
      Your high concept must reference what kind of individual you are, that
      is, bioroid, baseline human, augmented human, infomorph, etc etc.

      Switching bodies should be done with an invocation of the concept (or as
      an extreme consequence for fleshy characters), and it's your choice if
      it also requires a stunt (My advice is that if the character wants to
      swap bodies often, and has a stable of different bodies, then he needs a
      stunt. If he just wants a new body after his own body gets destroyed,
      then just the high concept is enough). What it does, is it allows you to
      reconfigure your skills as per the new body, similar to how
      shapeshifting works in other versions of Fate. I would convert physical
      consequences into mental ones when one switches bodies, but that's
      mainly a balance thing.

      As for gear, I would stay away from "gear porn". Military gear is on a
      different scale (though it does not give bonuses to hit), giving weapon
      2 and armor 2, for weapons and armor. Electrolasers and other non-lethal
      weapons inflict mainly mental stress.

      Again, it may seem strange that a GURPSoid recommends zen minimalism for
      a Transhuman Space Fate game, but if you wanted crunchy, I believe you
      would have used GURPS.

      --
      Antoni Ten
      GURPSoid and retired MiB

      There is a significant amount of rationale behind Fate design decisions
      that starts with, "I am the laziest GM on the planet and want to do as
      little work as I can reasonably get away with".
      — Leonard Balsera, FateRPG@YahooGroups, 10/dec/2012
    • sarah650213
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
        Hi Alex,

        The new Mindjammer 2nd edition will be out in April (PDF) and May (hardback) - the default setting is far future transhuman space opera, but the rules cover just what you're looking for. It's a Fate Core game. :-)

        Cheers,

        Sarah

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "alexflipside" wrote:

        > I am planning to run a duet using Transhuman Space as the setting and FATE Core as the rules. Can the wise greybeards of the forum recommend something I can read/use on the FATE side?
        >
        > I would need rules for cyberware, computer skulduggery and general sense for near-future roleplaying.
        >
        > Thank you all in advance!
        >
        > Alex

      • rpgvirtualtabletop
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013