RE: [FateRPG] Spirit of the Slayers

  • James Malaspino
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
      It's. Very extended d20 with changes to accommodate that kind of stuff. Even spellcasting is neither vancian or mana type spellpoints  & the stuff like Amelia's speeches actually have a purpose that iirc works not too unlike sticking a maneuver on a target but with a bit more number tracking. Believe it or not... I think the book would actually be of assistance for you. If not the book,even skimming the PDF would have good stuff on relevant sections of it

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
        The discuusion made me remember some fun times & I decided to dig out my pdf of it to grab a few good examples to show the feel of it:
        Great fortitude: The character is healthy & resiliant
        Benefit: Great fortitude grants a +4 bonus on all fortiude saving throws
        Special: Characters with great fortitude have a healthy appetite.  They must eat three times as much food as normal.  If a character cannot eat enough in a dat, he or she looses the benefit of this feat.  Additionally characters with this feat suffer -4 penalties to all constitution checks to resist hunger or thirst
        Lightning reflexes: Your character has amazing reflexes & can react without having to think about it.
        Benefit Lightning Reflexes grants +4 bonus on all saving throws
        Special: Characters with ligfhtning reflexes can react quickly, often quicker than they can think. At times, these "highly sensitive" reflexes will lead characters to react to nothing at all, or over react to stimuli.  Others interpret these times as bouts of clumsiness.  On any movement related dice roll (reflex saves, attacks, some skill checks, etc) they will drop their weapon, trip & fall over, accidentally cut their pants so they fall, etc.  The GM may decide that such situations can cause embarrassment (see psychological attacks, page201)

        I thought about including a couple spells, but it would be too much work to explain all the differences now that I look back at it again, basically spells have a DC the caster needs to beat with (i think) a fort save & spells take up multiple spell slots instead of being level x.  a failed save can result in the spell backfiring with some possible options iirc.  Spells range from dc20ish up to 70 for gigaslave & there are things like lina's magic++gear, using things like the swqord of light as a conduit for focus, the casting c;lasses have significant bonus's to fort saves for casting i believe, basically it's barely d20

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Hopcroft" wrote:

        > Which, for the most part, you really don't. Botched die rolls should not,
        > generally speaking, obliterate the Universe.
        >

        > Spellcasters in the series know a lot of spells, of varying degrees of power
        > and utility. This gives players many choices. I would tend to represent this
        > by allowing players to attempt to come up with spells for desired effects
        > "on the fly", even if they don't have it on their prepared list, and then
        > making a skill roll to see whether they got it right. That would simulate
        > all the one-shot things characters do like the "regenerate the trolls to
        > death" trick Lina and Gourry pull early on and then don't get the chance to
        > do again. Players should ideally be rewarded for being clever, not just for
        > having awesome magic powers.
        >

        > But they should also, for the game to work properly, be rewarded for things
        > that get in their way but are in character. Amelia making a speech is
        > generally speaking a waste of time - she's not going to make a demon give up
        > its evil ways - but she still does it, consistently. I'm unclear how to
        > reward her player for doing this, especially if it makes things harder for
        > her in the short term (like the time she got so caught up in romantic
        > speculation about an impending betrayal that she didn't notice that somebody
        > had tied her up head to toe until it was too late!).

      • Michael Hopcroft
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012

          My goal in this exercise is in large part to cast aside the d20 constructions altogether and make the setting and characters work in FATE. I was able to do it in the FUDGE-based HeartQuest RPG for the demonstration games I mentioned (one of which played a large part in getting some of the backing that led to its eventual publication, a feat I will never live down as long as I live) and I see no reason it can’t work here.

          The point for me is figuring out what makes a FATE game a FATE game and seeing if it can match what a Slayers game ought to be. Certainly there are a lot of “genre” tropes that can be worked in, such as the enormous meals that everyone seems to need (Amelia, the slim and “dainty” princess, also has a lusty appetite for food, which causes problems when the others use her family’s credit to pay to feed all of them!), the character flaws, and the general atmosphere that generally starts out comical and then turns more and more serious, with the stakes rising, as each campaign progresses.

          So I have yet to really make the mental leap from FUDGE to FATE, and that may be clouding some of my thinking.

> [...]

          > all the one-shot things characters do like the "regenerate the trolls to
          > death" trick Lina and Gourry pull early on and then don't get the chance to
          > do again. Players should ideally be rewarded for being clever, not just for
          > having awesome magic powers.
          >

          > But they should also, for the game to work properly, be rewarded for things
          > that get in their way but are in character. Amelia making a speech is
          > generally speaking a waste of time - she's not going to make a demon give up
          > its evil ways - but she still does it, consistently. I'm unclear how to
          > reward her player for doing this, especially if it makes things harder for
          > her in the short term (like the time she got so caught up in romantic
          > speculation about an impending betrayal that she didn't notice that somebody
          > had tied her up head to toe until it was too late!).

        • James Malaspino
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
            That sheds some light on what you are asking, but your last paragraph almost makes it feel like you are metaphorically asking what makes a forest a forest when you need to be asking what a tree is.

            What trouble are you having with that mental leap?

> [...]

            > all the one-shot things characters do like the "regenerate the trolls to
            > death" trick Lina and Gourry pull early on and then don't get the chance to
            > do again. Players should ideally be rewarded for being clever, not just for
            > having awesome magic powers.
            >

            > But they should also, for the game to work properly, be rewarded for things
            > that get in their way but are in character. Amelia making a speech is
            > generally speaking a waste of time - she's not going to make a demon give up
            > its evil ways - but she still does it, consistently. I'm unclear how to
            > reward her player for doing this, especially if it makes things harder for
            > her in the short term (like the time she got so caught up in romantic
            > speculation about an impending betrayal that she didn't notice that somebody
            > had tied her up head to toe until it was too late!).

          • Village6
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
              #1 I would recommend that you pick up FateCore via the kickstarter, and learn how to play it RAW. Once you understand Fate, then you can look to hack it from a position of familiarized enlightenment, instead of taking third party advice about what makes it "it".

              #2 FATE is very scalable, and the characters you describe in Slayers as powerful should be no problem. My last Fate game was hacked so that we were playing Isis, Archangel Michael, and Loki, among others, and Fate handled the challenges of Godhood quite nicely.

              #3 Most of epic-ness and comedic stuff will be handled by Aspects in Fate, as well as your players use and interpretation of them.

              Lastly, I'd like to reiterate #1, as you are overestimating the difficulty of using Fate to model virtually any type/genre of game. Learn Fate RAW, and your conversion will be easy once you are familiar with Fate.

              Be seeing you...
              - #6