Role of the healer

  • Jonathan Wells
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 29, 2012
      I'm making a Fate fantasy game with D&D roots. Part of those roots is the role of the healer. So I'm wondering how to make that character role more important in Fate. The tricky part is to make sure that consequences still sting.

      SotC includes medicine in the Science skill, and in that game, a doctor can speed up recovery of physical consequences. This didn't feel right. This way, you just had two healing times, depending on whether you had a good healer or not. The role of healer becomes a boring but necessary job. An obligatory healbot, better suited to an NPC than a protagonist.

      I'm currently toying with a system that involves a little bookkeeping. (Oh noez!) The idea is that the healing skill gives you a track of check boxes. Higher skill means more boxes. To give someone speedy recovery, you have to check off a box. Recovering the healing track takes a day of recovery and resupply, roughly the same as clearing a severe consequence.

      Do you think this would accomplish my goals? I think this way would make the healer important without turning the party into Wolverine. As an added bonus, having a secondary healer becomes a big help to the whole group.

      --
      Jonathan Wells
      wells.jonathan@...
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11 5:15 PM
        One way to make the "healbot" fun is that they must be careful of their resources. this can apply both within a scene and across scenes. Here are some alternatives that could lead to something:

        Empathic Healer: fill one of your stress boxes to clear the corresponding (or lower) stress box from a character
        Healer: fill one of your mental stress boxes to clear the corresponding (or lower) stress boss from a character.
        Endurance: fill one of your (mental) stress boxes to give a character an additional stress box

        Miracle Worker: (as a ritual) take a consequence to remove a physical or mental-health consequence from a a character

        These are more interesting in play than they appear, because it moves around where the dmg is.  Fundamentally, having a healer makes your party tougher.  For Miracle Worker especially, the consequence that the healer takes doesn't need to be the same (or the same severity) as the consequence that is removed. Thus, a severe consequence could be healed (given time for a ritual) at the cost of a minor [Mental Exhaustion].  But you'd better not have another fight immediately or you could lose your healer.  This also makes a party tougher because it spreads damage out (both between players and from health to mental). this means that more damage is recoverable between scenes.  But that's the point of a healer: it provides buffer, and the healer really can feel they matter to the group success while carefully applying healing capacity.