Re: Robots

  • Patrice LaFlamme
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31 5:22 PM
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@h...>
      wrote:
      > For those unaware, the process of making a positronic brain are
      akin to
      > making a glass vase. Once you're done messing with it, it's set,
      and you
      > can't alter it at all (any more than we can alter our own brains).
      The brain
      > can adapt by learning, but you can't "program" it, because it's
      not a
      > computer. To continue with the vase analogy, you can break the
      vase, melt it
      > down, and start over, but that's not altering the current robot,
      that's
      > making a new one from the material of the old one.

      This makes sense. Lots of sense actually.

      Also, they're called "positronic" brains because, well, quite
      simply, when Asimov started writing positrons had just been
      discovered so anything positronic was a catch phrase of sorts (just
      like everything atomic in the Foundation novels lol - atomic knives,
      atomic ovens, etc. funny stuff).

      Thank you everyone for your input.. I will reread and think more
      about it. I read something on the FATE wiki which I find so true -

      "What's the effect, the tone, the type of outcome you're looking
      for?" Answer that question, and a lot of the other questions fall
      into line.

      So I will answer this question for myself (and with my players) and
      everything will fall into place.

      I love it!

      Patrix.
    • Patrice LaFlamme
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2004
        Actually I think what I'll do is just make their default skill level
        Average instead of Mediocre, but really harp on the Three Laws
        (involuntary invocation of Robot aspect for example ) and other such
        things. So they get better skills but more constraints on their behaviour.

        It's simple and I need to playtest it ;)

        Patrix.