One new thing I'd like that isn't in Core

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
      I've always had a house rule: If I, as GM, declare that plot screws your plans over, you get a Fate Point.  I took it from PDQ, and I've loved it.

      It's not overdone (IMNHSO), but it does things like make "the big bad that I want to have as a recurring villain escapes in your first encounter scene" more palatable to the players.  In essence, it's saying "It's better for story that this happens, and I understand I'm denying you some portion of the coolness you sought".

      I _could_ just give  (or lie about having given) every critical plot twist a similar aspect and use it to boost their defenses, but let's be honest: players are really clever and such an aspect may not always help.  There aren't that many items that are critical to the plot (normally if they do the unexpected I roll with it) but sometimes I do have a plot that's important, or at least important to the _type_ of story being told.  For example, if the Daring Cat Thief is really the king's daughter, it's a bit of a change in genre to have the PCs ignorantly kill her off.  Sure, we could tell the story that results, but now we've got a different story TYPE than the game we all signed up for.

      I can continue to have this as a house rule with no problem, but if it's useful for the masses at large, perhaps it has a home in Fate Core?

      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...