Re: [FateRPG] The Case for Fudge Dice

  • Brett Ritter
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:
      Fred, I know you've had dice made before. How much of a headache is it?

      If you poke about on his blog, you'll see he's been working on plans for new Fudge dice (possibly involving a larger size of print).  I have no knowledge, but I'd not be surprised to see something come up soon.  Given the mailing issues mentioned in the FAQ I'd be surprised if it was part of this KS though.

      --
      Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
      swiftone@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
        Dice are a certifiable pain with a very long hang time to produce. We continue to work on it. It's likely out of scope for the KS itself.

        Fred Hicks
        Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
        Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
        For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks http://gplus.to/fredhicks
      • Jay E
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
          I did find one source of pretty Fudge dice: Q-Workshop makes some.

          q-workshop.com/products.php?lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL¤cy=USD&category=Special Fudge-D6

          That's $3 USD _per die_ if you order directly from them; you can buy sets of 4 for $10 from Troll and Toad, and Amazon sells them for $9-$12 depending on the color scheme.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:

          > Let's face it, compared to 'standard' dice available, the Fudge available
          > dice look a little plain. (Sadly, I missed out on Fred's stash.)
          >
          > So I propose either as a stretch goal for Fate Core, or as another
          > kickstarter down the road, getting some snazzy dice made.
          >
          > Fred, I know you've had dice made before. How much of a headache is it?
          >
          > --
          > Hollis McCray
          > aka The Fifth Wanderer
          >
          > ascensionschild@...
          >
          > "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of LSD and
          > methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere

        • Hollis McCray
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
            On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

            Dice are a certifiable pain with a very long hang time to produce. We continue to work on it. It's likely out of scope for the KS itself.

            That's what I was afraid of. I've got the GM's multicolor pack myself, so I'm good; I was thinking about people just getting into Fate.
            --
            Hollis McCray
            aka The Fifth Wanderer

            ascensionschild@...

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                I love the designs of Q-workshop and always stop in their booth at GenCON - but the dice themselves are just not that good. They are lighter so they bounce more - and while I have four sets of Fudge dice from them - each set is a slightly different size, even among the sets themselves. The dice runs are very inconsistent.

                Chip

                On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Jay E <jelmore49@...> wrote:

                I did find one source of pretty Fudge dice: Q-Workshop makes some.

                q-workshop.com/products.php?lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL&currency=USD&category=Special Fudge-D6

                That's $3 USD _per die_ if you order directly from them; you can buy sets of 4 for $10 from Troll and Toad, and Amazon sells them for $9-$12 depending on the color scheme.

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:

                > Let's face it, compared to 'standard' dice available, the Fudge available
                > dice look a little plain. (Sadly, I missed out on Fred's stash.)
                >
                > So I propose either as a stretch goal for Fate Core, or as another
                > kickstarter down the road, getting some snazzy dice made.
                >
                > Fred, I know you've had dice made before. How much of a headache is it?
                >
                > --
                > Hollis McCray
                > aka The Fifth Wanderer
                >
                > ascensionschild@...

                > "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of LSD and
                > methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere

                --
                “Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. True irreverence is disrespect for another man’s god.” – Mark Twain

              • Brett Ritter
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                  On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM, GalacticCmdr <galacticcmdr@...> wrote:
                  I love the designs of Q-workshop

                  Too busy - hard to pick out the number (or +/- sign ) from all the decoration on each side.
                  Good to know about the weight though.
                  --
                  Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
                  swiftone@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                      On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                      Yeah, I'd echo the complaints: Q's dice are so light they feel like they're made of air, not solid plastic or acrylic, and the designs themselves tend to be too busy to easily parse.

                      Yeah, the designs tend to be a bit too busy. I've got their steampunk dice, and I hardly ever use them.
                      --
                      Hollis McCray
                      aka The Fifth Wanderer

                      ascensionschild@...