Re: [FateRPG] Re: Looking for dice

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 7, 2012
    Here's two pics.  One is of all 6 dice (the 2 d5s on the right, the 2d9s with fudge results in the middle, and the two d36s on the left -- the front d36 being the Fudge one, and the back d36 being a regular 1-36 die).

    The other pic was Abraham's pic of the two d9's, giving you a closer pic, stacked nice, and polished.

    On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM, James Husum <james.husum@...> wrote:

    Greetings,

    Now I'm curious. Could you post photos of your custom dice?

    On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM, John Rudd <johnkzin@...> wrote:

    My most recent Fudge dice were made by a guy named Abraham Neddermann (custom dice maker in Spain).

    He did a couple of cylindrical d9's for me, that had 2 symbols on each face (a + an a -) in varying combinations.  Rolling both d9's gave you a full range of 4dF combinations.  (they also had the 1-9 numbers on each face, so you could use them as regular d9's as well).

    The main one I got from him though, was a d36 (yes, a d36).  Think of it like a d8, only instead of being 2 four-sided pyramids butt to butt, it is two 18 sided pyramids (almost 2 cones, the sides are so narrow).  The probabilities are like the d6 vs d6 method for Fudge dice, only with the +5 and -5 results converted to 0's.  After that, I also got him to make me an actual regular 1-36 d36.

    All of those, as well as some d5's (which could be used for d5 - d5 to get a -4 to +4 range), were made from aluminum.

    Sadly, I don't think Abraham is making custom dice anymore.  But the 2d9 model could be used by anyone who wants to do custom cylindrical dice, and have something "out of the ordinary".  I'd be happy to tell anyone the face layout if you want to go that route.

    On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Ashok Desai <EldritchDesign@...> wrote:

    Regarding ShapeWays dice: careful! Not all of the materials on offer at ShapeWays are suitable for throwing around, and some of them make reading the dice very difficult. Sadly the ones that do work really well are generally the expensive ones, like steel, or silver.

    Ash

    Sent from my iPad

    --
    James Husum
    The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/

  • Hollis McCray
    Message 32 of 32 , Dec 8, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM, David Berkompas <ai6k@...> wrote:

      I went to Amazon for the multi-pack of dice, and of course they were all out.

      A google search turned up a few others, so I thought I'd share my experience.

      http://www.beautifulbrainsbooksandgames.com/

      Very easy ordering, and had a nice chat feature where people were actually present, and friendly. No idea what that was all about, what a nice change of pace!

      Placed my order, and got immediate feedback and a nice email asking if things had gone ok.

      I responded that it had, fantastic customer service.

      I asked permission to pass the link on, and they said please do, and said I could give out this code for 10% off at checkout: ILoveBrains

      I have no pecuniary interest here, just passing on my experience.

      With so many people possibly out looking for dice, just thought I'd pass along the information.

      Dave

      Q-workshop makes some too, albeit at a steep price. I wonder if we could talk them into selling sets, or expanding the range.

      --
      Hollis McCray
      aka The Fifth Wanderer

      ascensionschild@...