RE: [FateRPG] Re: FATE combat questions

  • Mike Holmes
    Message 1 of 49 , Jul 13, 2004
      >From: "Dave Hill" <dave@...>

      >One thing a compressed battle of this type seems likely to do is not
      >only save time, but reduce the expenditure of materiel and, most
      >importantly, Aspects, since the number of exchanges and rolls are
      >reduced. Which is, perhaps, how it should also be (at least from a
      >dramatic standpoint).

      Absolutely true. I noted the same thing about the differences between Hero
      Quest simple and extended contests. Going to extended contests means that
      potentially a lot more Hero Points might be burned (there were eight in the
      mass combat I ran last night), which makes it more appropriately dramatic.

      Mike

      Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
      Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx
    • Mike Holmes
      Message 49 of 49 , Jul 19, 2004
        >From: Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@...>

        >Fair enough. I think I'm revealing a bias here that I think a lot of
        >strategic players would be perfectly happy with narrative play if the
        >narration sounds like The Punisher's internal monologue. :)

        I wouldn't argue against you there. I can really see a synergy to be had,
        done right. What I'm getting at is that I think that this can happen as part
        of the "pre-conflict" decision making mode. That is, the strategy is not in
        the conflict itself, but in the decision on whether to fight here and now,
        or to try to angle the conflict to something else. Once the conflict is
        joined, FATE merely provides fun color to the event. Which keeps the pace
        going at a rate that allows players to getquickly back to the important part
        - making those decisions about going into the conflicts.

        But, yah, that's my bias showing.

        Mike

        Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/