Re: FATE combat questions

  • Dave Hill
    Message 1 of 49 , Jul 13, 2004
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Iago <iago@i...> wrote:
      > Mook group challenge track (rough draft, off the cuff)

      I did some thinking about this last night. Assume our merry band of
      Five Heroes (G1-5), up against the couple-o-dozen mooks charging at
      them. Some thoughts/questions:

      Is an attack using this sort of Mook Group Challenge Track handled as
      ... well, how *is* it handled. Each player rolls, the mooks make a
      single en masse roll:

      Let's say that G1-4 beat the mooks, but the mooks beat G5. (Hey, it
      could happen -- that's why we even bother to run the combat, right?)

      So ... G5 takes damage on his wounds track from that single mook
      success (which is bolstered one, intrinsically, by the mooks' superior
      numbers).

      Do the mooks take damage on the track ...

      ... from the MoS from each of G1-4 (G1's Mos, G2's MoS, etc., which
      would tend to mean that the mooks would be toast after a single good
      exchange)?

      ... from just the *best* MoS by G1-4 (G1 got a MoS of 5, so the Good
      Guys have inflicted Heavy Casualties on the mooks over that
      lengthy-but-compressed exchange, while taking some hurt to G5).

      Or do all of the Good Guys have to beat all of the Mooks, or
      vice-versa, for anything to happen (that seems a bit too abstracted,
      as well as less likely to resolve things quickly)?

      One thing a compressed battle of this type seems likely to do is not
      only save time, but reduce the expenditure of materiel and, most
      importantly, Aspects, since the number of exchanges and rolls are
      reduced. Which is, perhaps, how it should also be (at least from a
      dramatic standpoint).

      *** Dave
      I don't think they play at all fairly, and they all quarrel so
      dreadfully one can't hear oneself speak -- and they don't seem to have
      any rules in particular; at least, if there are, nobody attends to
      them -- and you've no idea how confusing it is …
      -- Lewis Carroll (1832-1898), _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_
      (1865)
    • Mike Holmes
      Message 49 of 49 , Jul 19, 2004
        >From: Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@...>

        >Fair enough. I think I'm revealing a bias here that I think a lot of
        >strategic players would be perfectly happy with narrative play if the
        >narration sounds like The Punisher's internal monologue. :)

        I wouldn't argue against you there. I can really see a synergy to be had,
        done right. What I'm getting at is that I think that this can happen as part
        of the "pre-conflict" decision making mode. That is, the strategy is not in
        the conflict itself, but in the decision on whether to fight here and now,
        or to try to angle the conflict to something else. Once the conflict is
        joined, FATE merely provides fun color to the event. Which keeps the pace
        going at a rate that allows players to getquickly back to the important part
        - making those decisions about going into the conflicts.

        But, yah, that's my bias showing.

        Mike

        Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/