Strange Fate ∆ DFRPG and Strands

  • garyfurash
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      I was recommended the "Kerberos Club" version of Fate for an idea I posted on RPG.NET.

      1. What makes "Kerberos" fate different from DFRPG or Strands Fate - those are the two I'm familiar with. What extra value/problems does this difference add.
      2. If you're "building" a setting, would it just be easier to use Strands or something like that?

      I'm happy to purchase another version of Fate, I just don't want to invest if most of its changes are more problematic than useful.

      If it helps, the players will be about at the Start/Mid Kerberos level of power - they can do stuff, and might not be human, but can be killed with a bullet to the head.
    • Sean D
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
        I wish that I could add more about the specifics of what makes Kerberos Club Fate different than DFRPG or Strands but here is a review of Kerberos Club Fate Edition from RPG.NET.

        --
        110.  Labour to keep alive in your breast that little celestial fire called conscience.
        --George Washington
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
          Strange Fate does different "power tiers" better than most implementations of Fate in my opinion. The gist of it is that for each power tier you exceed your opposition, you replace one of your Fudge dice with 1d6. This averages out to a +3 advantage, so a 2 power tier advantage is massive, but someone down 1 power tier still has a chance of beating an opponent.

          The other thing it does well is allow for creating custom skills with a very clear idea of what the skill does, by assembling it out of very clear "trappings". Trappings are used in many Fate games a shorthand for the kinds of things you do with skills, but Kerberos Club breaks them down very clearly and explicitly. With this system, instead of taking Mutant Revolutionary as an aspect, you might build it as a skill with a rating of +4, which would give you (rough example) the Contacting, Endurance and Inspire trappings within that scope. Powers are built the same way, btw, so if you can fly, you take "Flight" as a power skill, and maybe build it with the trappings of Movement and Physical Defense, and then pick a power tier for it.

          Strands is useful for its Attribute system and "Aspect Alphabet" concept, but the powers are too crunchy for my taste. If you don't care about crunch, it seems like you could do whatever you wanted with Strands.

          DFRPG, while being really well written, is too crunchy in how specifically it implements its specific setting. DFRPG is not as much of a toolkit compared to other Fate games, IMO.

          Kerberos Club's rules aren't too tightly tied to the setting... I thought that it would be a decent fit for something like Exalted, if one was so inclined. Most importantly, the quality of the systems and setting is top notch, so if you picked it up, I'm sure you'd find -something- useful in there.

          Jim

          On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM, garyfurash <furashg@...> wrote:

          I was recommended the "Kerberos Club" version of Fate for an idea I posted on RPG.NET.

          1. What makes "Kerberos" fate different from DFRPG or Strands Fate - those are the two I'm familiar with. What extra value/problems does this difference add.
          2. If you're "building" a setting, would it just be easier to use Strands or something like that?

          I'm happy to purchase another version of Fate, I just don't want to invest if most of its changes are more problematic than useful.

          If it helps, the players will be about at the Start/Mid Kerberos level of power - they can do stuff, and might not be human, but can be killed with a bullet to the head.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
            I agree with Jim's summary. For more info, check out the author's site: http://spiritoftheblank.blogspot.com/

            Tons of great info there, on Strange Fate and more.

            Also worth mentioning, I seem to remember Mike saying somewhere that Atomic Robo will leverage a new version of Strange Fate (as updated by Fate Core).

            Good luck!