Re: [FateRPG] fate organizations

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
      I wrote:

      >>I could see this working as a good shorthand to represent any number of
      >>game elements -- locations come to mind:
      >>
      >>Temple of Ancient Evil
      >>OO Undead Patrols
      [etc.]

      DarkHost wrote:

      > What a nifty-cool idea!

      I have to admit that I'm not yet sure *how* I'd use it, other than as a
      useful GM shorthand. "{Hm, what have I not thrown at them this session?
      Oh yeah, another fight with zombies would be cool. Check off that
      box.) You hear shambling noises and moaning! Anybody got any holy
      water left?"

      > I'll have to let you know how it works out --
      > assuming my RPGing ever becomes something other than an exercise in self-abuse.

      Understood. I'm having fun treating my previously mentioned thief game
      as a thought experiment, even if it turns out I can't actually assemble
      any players. I still have hopes.

      I particularly like the suggestions on page 20 for giving out Fate
      points as rewards for genre-appropriate actions. This seems like it
      could be tons of fun in play. I'm coming up with stuff like
      "participate in a rooftop chase after dark," "steal someone's
      clothes/uniform as a disguise," "take a risk to steal something you
      don't actually need," "get out of a tight spot by impersonating someone
      important," things like that.

      Jason Puckett / punkmonkey@... / www.intemperance.net
      "My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear
      underpants. What am I, the Pope?" -- Fry, "Futurama"
    • vincentalienzk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
        In a message dated 06/30/2004 11:13:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, vincentalienzk@... writes:
        Saw Pitch Black last wednsday and then saw Chronicles of Riddick, so i'm in a SF sort of mode.

        The Drift

        A collection of habitats and abandoned ships in the trailing Lagrange point of Bellepheron, a large gas giant in the Iskander System and around which the main habitable world, Iskander, orbits. Starships can enter or leave hyperspace at will, beyond Belepheron's mighty gravity well, but transit times are still considerable.

        OOO Refugees and Strange cults- Original components were refugee ships and broken warships.
        OO Smuggler's Haven- Clearing house for black or gray market goods. News, too.
        OO Dangerous- Iskanderan authorities turn a blind eye to activities here and thngs are unregulated.
        O Retread Shop- Cheap ship components, ancient artifacts for sale...
        This is a family based in The Drift, The Odd Couple and their three 'kids'.
        I was thinking about establishing that the two older characters have more Phases, but I know I don't have to do it that way.
        Brother Wind, Fighting Monk in Ziggy (Zero-Gee) Martial Arts, Healer, maybe more. Saved CWV below after the Battle of The Drift, AKA The Drift Massacre. Thinking of the Imam from Pitch Black and Chronicles, a native of Iskander, also Book from Firefly.
        Crippled War Vet- Cyborg, Cracker, Holonet phreaker. Bad Guy heavy-worlder genes and ethnicity (The invaders and occupiers of Iskander are racially and ethnically Asian, but Han or Korean? I'll go with Korean and research a bit). May be Bad Grrl, but I don't want to make too many female characters when I usually have mostly male players.
        Salie (Salient) Hong (father was 'Hangs So Low' 8-), smuggler orphan. Lost his parents and the rest his family, vowed revenge on the new owners of the Blue Parrot, now called the Red Claw. Boy named Sue and all that, is a tough little survivor.
        Assassin Thief- Pretty... pretty mean, devious, vicious, etc. Heartbreaker and ass-kicker. Oh, Dark Angel, I'm not being original, darn it...
        Alien Critter, Living Alien Artifact AKA Artie L2A and also campaign maguffin?

        The Hovel- a collection of salvaged parts that the little family has laid claim to, principally a double-lobed bubble habitat, spinning for artificial gravity at each end, 50 meters, 3 rpm, 7.85 m/s, 2.47 m/s^2, 0.25 G.

        I'd go ahead and stat them out, but I was wondering if anybody'd be interested in doing chargen online? Pick a character or add one, go about it one phase at a time. I'll have to work up a proper skills list, but the bare bones of the thing are there, now.

        vince
        "Honor is what you know about yourself. Reputation is what others think about you."
        Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold
      • Mike Holmes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
          >From: Jason <punkmonkey@...>

          > > What a nifty-cool idea!
          >
          >I have to admit that I'm not yet sure *how* I'd use it, other than as a
          >useful GM shorthand. "{Hm, what have I not thrown at them this session?

          Very simply, it's an easy way to arbitrarily set opposing values. Want to
          dodge those Undead Patrols in the area? You roll against the organization's
          "Good" or whatever. Precisely the same way that you'd roll against a
          shorthand NPCs aspect of Guard or something.

          Mike

          Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide!
          http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
        • Jason
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
            On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Mike Holmes wrote:

            > Very simply, it's an easy way to arbitrarily set opposing values. Want
            > to dodge those Undead Patrols in the area? You roll against the
            > organization's "Good" or whatever. Precisely the same way that you'd
            > roll against a shorthand NPCs aspect of Guard or something.

            That makes perfect sense, of course. Thanks.

            Jason Puckett / punkmonkey@... / www.intemperance.net
            "My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear
            underpants. What am I, the Pope?" -- Fry, "Futurama"
          • albastar1
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2004
              What about using aspect against organization, for example Undead
              Patrols might be lured away by the smell of fresh brains instead of
              patroling. Or for example after barbarian army lead by PC conqueners
              the city it will start looting and pillaging in the most barbaric
              way.