RE: [FateRPG] Stuntless Fate - Using Aspects as Stunts / Powers?

  • Lisa Steele
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
      My sense is that a Stunt is mostly a special case Aspect. It let you use a
      skill a certain way, usually without spending FP. I think SotC has some
      thoughts on running the system without stunts -- which I've done for
      quick-start games where I don't want the players spending a long time with a
      complex list of SotC stunts.

      Try this:
      http://evilhat.wikidot.com/stuntless-rules

    • dave_joria
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2012
        So, here's my rough version: it's basically using Fractals, but rather than calling them "fractals", it's splitting Aspects into two types, "Minor" (aspects without fractals), and Major (Aspects with fractals).

        Again, the goal is to have a "Powers & Aspects First, Skills After" school of thought. If Stunts are the coolest thing that a character can do, why are they picked LAST?

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        MAJOR ASPECTS AND MINOR ASPECTS
        All aspects are split into two types- major aspects and minor ones.

        Minor aspects are simply one sentence phrases that stand alone.
        Ex. "Always running behind," "Stupid sense of Chivalry," "Size of a Barge"

        Major aspects are aspects that help define the core abilities and nature of a character- his role, his job, what makes him special. Like an aspect, it starts with a key sentence, but has lesser aspects that are a part of it. For example:
        Is almost as good of a swordsman as he thinks he is
        > Trained with Grums, Drill Sergeant from Hell (literally)
        > Signature move- the tornado twist
        > Likes his swords like he likes his woman- fast, thin, and girly

        We recommend all SCPRG characters start with two Major Aspects, each which has three subaspects. Here are some things it can represent (though, don't feel limited to it)
        Natural State
        Signature Skill
        Powers
        Training / Job
        Weapons / Tools / Artifacts
        Magic Ability

        It is possible for a Major Aspect to grant an ability that is not covered by a skill. For example:

        Cursed with Vampiric Powers
        > Hypnotize the Weak
        > Absolutely Glamour-ous
        > More juice needs more blood

        The hypnotism ability lets him toy with the minds of the weak, but must be attached to a skill- otherwise, how will know what he's rolling against? The GM lets the Vampire keep the Hypnotism aspect, and offers the player to pick one of the following skills: Mystics, or Willpower (although a GM might let it go to Deception too). The player wants his Vampire to be very strong mentally, but not that great with magic, so he goes with Willpower. Likewise, the Glamour-ous ability should be linked to something too (Mystics, Deception), and the player will pick which skill he wants to tie it too. While a player can have several aspects linked to a single skill, it never hurts to make the occasional one require a different skill, in order to diversify it.

        Props- it's easy to use the Major Aspects to build a favorite weapon or tool, too.

        Trusty Utility Belt
        >Believe me, I thought of everything! (Resources)
        >I can fix anything! (Craft skill)
        >I got some BIG bangs in here, but not many!

        Cursed with the Sacrificial Dagger of Kharat-Tohp
        > Shrouded in Bad Mojo (tied to Intimidate)
        > Returns like a bad penny
        > Carries the dark magic of its past owner (Mystics)

        Or, Magic!

        Memorized necromantic spells by playing metal songs backwards
        >Steals energy from other life forms through blood, death, despair and heavy metal music
        >Speak to the souls of the dead, and command the husks of the lifeless (Mystics)
        >Killing my funk – dispelled by holy magic, happiness and lack of concentration

        Three aspects may not be much to start with, but as the player advances, he can get new aspects- while he can create new, independent aspects, he can also add new sub-aspects to his Major Aspects, gaining new skills and spells.

        For example, here's a "level 1" mage:

        One of the Last of the Druids
        >Uses Life magic, sharing and giving the precious essence we all share
        >Takes on the mantle of the beast himself- Growl!
        >Gets "into" it – Once he's a tapped into the beast, Hard to stop!

        After a number of campaigns and new aspects, it might resemble the following: