Fate Point Deficit

  • GARY
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
      My actual play experience is limited to 2 DFRPG games, and I'm heavily into SOF.

      Coming from Savage Worlds, one of the concerns I had is that since SO many things require spending fate points, not only aspect stuff but just activating powers, etc., I would think that it would be easy to run at a Fate point deficit constantly. That is, your player's get a handful at the start, a few from some compells, and then really can't do anything cool since they don't have fate points. Which doesn't make sense, since I thought Fate was about having your character be cool NOW.

      So:
      1. are there other ways players gain FP beyond the occasional compell they or GM have initiated;
      2. are compell's supposed to be very frequent (1/2 per character per scene)? I'm making that # up, but that would give you more FP;
      3. is there some other way players should be generating fate points?
    • Jan Willms
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012

        #2, all the way. If you're not compelling yourself, you're missing the
        point -- when you self-compel, the FP you get is simply a side-benefit
        to the fact that you're acting in character (ie, according to the
        Aspects you gave them).

        Jan
      • Jeffrey Hosmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
          Sometimes, FP aren't needed.  Maneuvers set up aspects that can be used (once) without a FP, so that cuts down on the deficit.

          #2, all the way. If you're not compelling yourself, you're missing the

          --
          Jeffrey Hosmer
          jhosmer1@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012

            #2. Also, I add in the following:

            A) I have a player that is a fantastic RPer, but it often leads to her
            getting her character in trouble by playing her aspects in such subtle
            ways that I can't label any point a "compel". So I just declare that
            scene was a compel and toss her a point.
            B) Whenever I "screw over" the players for purposes of plot, I give
            them a point. This is taken from the ASM games (S7S, T&J, etc) and I
            like it. So if I want the party knocked unconscious in an ambush,
            rather than set them up against impossible odds to ensure success (and
            have them burn through FP trying to prevent that) I just narrate and
            hand them points. It's fairly rare, but it makes players a lot less
            grumpy about the occasional railroad plot point.

            --
            Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
            swiftone@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
              > 3. is there some other way players should be generating fate points?

              You can declare that the group gets a partial refresh at any time. It is outlined in the main book. Which is 1/2 or a 1/4 of their normal refresh total. You can also set ou a more regular partial refresh rate. Like once a session or every other session.

              Dave

              #2. Also, I add in the following:

              A) I have a player that is a fantastic RPer, but it often leads to her
              getting her character in trouble by playing her aspects in such subtle
              ways that I can't label any point a "compel". So I just declare that
              scene was a compel and toss her a point.
              B) Whenever I "screw over" the players for purposes of plot, I give
              them a point. This is taken from the ASM games (S7S, T&J, etc) and I
              like it. So if I want the party knocked unconscious in an ambush,
              rather than set them up against impossible odds to ensure success (and
              have them burn through FP trying to prevent that) I just narrate and
              hand them points. It's fairly rare, but it makes players a lot less
              grumpy about the occasional railroad plot point.

              --
              Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
              mailto:swiftone%40swiftone.org

            • John Sussenberger
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
                I've been using the refresh every session, which works really well and is easy to remember.

                As for compels, try to remember them as best you can.

                John

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
                  I'm running a DFRPG game too, and I've devised a system that supplement the refresh rules. Every time a character (PC or NPC) spends a FP it goes to a special FP pool. Whenever the players feel they want an extra FP boost, they can collectively 'harvest' those FPs at half its ratio, so if there are 6 FPs in the pool they get to harvest 3, to distribute among themselves any way they wish.

                  Well, that's my two cents anyway.

                  Gnothi seauton
                  "Conócete a ti mismo"