Re: Fate Fading Suns: Starblazer Skills List

  • ian_orourke
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2012
      Because I like to conclude threads I start, rather than leaving them hanging. So, the solution for now is as follows.

      Computer use / hacking just comes under the use of other skills. If a professor of alien races is researching using a byzantine archive of a lost age he uses Academics. If someone is trying to infiltrate a building or rapidly get past a sequence of security locks they use Burglery (yes, they should have re-named it to Infiltration). If a scientists is trying to de-construct the AI of an ancient second republic android he uses Science. Use of computers is entirely colour.

      On the medicine front there are two problems: (1) Where should the trappings for medicine be? (2) Should the trapping be available by default to all who have that skill?

      The 'good enough' solution is to (1) move the medicine trappings and stunts to Academics and (2) Doctor stunt now triggers being able to use medicine, otherwise such things aren't part of your Academics skill.

      While this isn't perfect it is good enough. It means all Academics aren't medical experts. It does mean medical experts are also good at sociology, psychology, research, alien beings, etc - but this feels more thematically correct than Science. After all, an Amalthean priest with a forte for the health of other beings might be also Great at these things.

      This solution also means, depending on characters created (someone may not actually create a medically skilled individual), I could include all the medical stuff under Science as well - it would still demand the stunt trigger.

      This means someone could be Academics with Doctor stunts (a Priest-like feel) or a Scientist with Doctor stunts (some ridiculous genius from the League of Engineers or something). Obviously player discussion would naturally rule out both existing in the same game.
    • Jeff

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2012
          Honestly,

          Just make a medicine skill, like in Bulldogs.
          Give it some trappings and some stunts.

          I find adding a skill quite helpful whenever I don't want it linked to another skill.
          I added systems, but called it Tech for any electronics/computers only skills.

          I agree with your idea that use of computers is just a trapping

          There is a big difference between using a computer to do something else and using a computer to do computer things.

          Jstr4hire