Re: [FateRPG] Hacking D&D

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
      Hey, that's a pretty cool tidbit. I half expected a more modern take for Core, given the games that've been published in house so far.

      On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Ryan Macklin <ryanmacklin@...> wrote:

      While it's not converting D&D to Fate strictly, I will mention that the running example in Fate Core is a fantasy/sword & sorcery vibe.

      - Ryan

      --
      Ryan Macklin
      Game Designer, Writer, Editor

      On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Jeff <jbradley05@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      I've been somewhat half-following news on D&D Next from the Legends and Lore columns and Enworld. I wouldn't mention that here except one article in particular struck me as holding a lot of potential down the road.

      Basically the idea that the designers are proposing is that D&D stop scaling astronomically with +/- modifiers to success. Whether you agree with the new design philosophy or not, I think it really opens up door for tacking on the Fate economy. Seems to me that if the game ships this way it should be much easier to implement than earlier editions.

      Anyway, the thought struck me as interesting, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar ideas. Lots of folk like to try converting D&D to Fate (me included), and maybe this is a way to truly mix the two. If WOTC goes the OGL route again, maybe we could even see a Fate rules module from Evil Hat!

      --Jeff

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
        Yeah!

        I think from Fate's perspective, D&D mechanics coming more in line can only help. If nothing else it should help make the D&D-to-Fate transition easier. I know I've had a difficult time at points helping players migrate from D&D to Fate.

        On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Matthew Corner <blumoose@...> wrote:

        I do agree with this.  By having progression be very flat and differences between characters be small (regarding "to hit" and such), it means you have a lot of room to experiment with different resolution systems.  Certainly it is much more amenable to switching to a 3d6 (roll and sum) system that was an optional rule in 3.X -- it didn't work well in that edition since there were huge differences with to-hits.  Similarly, going with the Fudge resolution mechanic should work pretty well with only small changes required (adjusting skill bonuses down from +3 perhaps or rolling them into aspects), and you could easily toss aspects on to that and Fate points, I'd think.  It would probably be even easier to do a full-on conversion (well, hit points might be a tricky issue, but I don't think FATE particularly requires that you are married to a certain health convention per se).  Pretty neat, considering the randomness of the d20 always bothered me (I hate it as a player and as a DM when a player gets a string of low rolls, which can happen too easily with a d20).

        It's definitely interesting, and it looks better than 4E which had numerous problems.  Ugh, the 4E PHB in particular was written like a straight-jacket for the players.

        They have said that they are aiming for third party support to be more like 3E than 4E.

        -Matthew

        On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Jeff <jbradley05@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Bill Burdick

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
            On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jeff <jbradley05@...> wrote:
            > I think from Fate's perspective, D&D mechanics coming more in line can only help. If nothing else it should help make the D&D-to-Fate transition easier. I know I've had a difficult time at points helping players migrate from D&D to Fate.

            It's good in the sense that D&D is focusing more on story.

            Note, however, that things aren't 100% the same. The
            advantage/disadvantage (if you're curious, check out the D&D playtest,
            it's free, but I don't want to go into the details because the NDA is
            odd) mechanic means that D&D is trying to move away from mechanics -
            but the side effect is where FATE encourages you to stack up all the
            ways you are "ahead" on a test, D&D (might) say that the total number
            of ways you're ahead or behind doesn't matter.

            On the whole though, I think it's a healthy place for a major RPG to
            be going, and we'll have more player crossover than 4E
            provides/encourages - both ways.

            --
            Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
            swiftone@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
              Bill,

              Exactly why we're doing fantasy. :) Not that Core's rule system will be fantasy-by-default, of course.

              More specifically, we're doing "guy with sword, girl with sword, guy without sword but with arcane stuff." Low fantasy, no discussion on races -- that would be more setting-dependent, and personally I would do it like Bulldogs does it.

              - Ryan