Re: Starblazer Survivability & Pacting

  • ian_orourke
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2012
      Okay, did you find a comfort zone between the type of weapon damage and the type of armour.

      Just trying to get a feel for it really. Is there an implied balance of +0 or +2, etc?

      Ian.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "TomM" <TomMiskey@...> wrote:

      > It uses Stress as Hit Points, which makes it go much faster. If you are hit for 4 stress, you mark off 4 boxes, not just box #4. Combined with damage bonuses for weapons, it can go very fast so long as no one is wearing very heavy armor.

    • TomM
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2012
        Starblazer, IIRC, has not only damage reduction but also additional consequences for armor. I've never liked that, it made it feel like good armor was better than good weapons. A weapon might do +3 damage per hit. Armor might stop 3 damage per hit, and also give you several additional consequences you can mark off on the armor. Which means that even if the weapon and armor are equal in power and damage is thus standard, it's still going to take several additional rounds to defeat the armored guy thanks to the consequences.

        Personally, I simply say that armor only provides damage reduction, same as a weapon gives a damage bonus. And using that rule, I try to keep the Armor rating no more than a point higher than the average weapon bonus for the group... too much higher and "You hit but did no damage" becomes too common, IMO, but for some rare foes, that may be just the effect you want... and it'll force them to work together, lay down maneuvers for free tags, etc.

        Tom

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "ian_orourke" <fandomlife@...> wrote:

        > Okay, did you find a comfort zone between the type of weapon damage and the type of armour.
        >
        > Just trying to get a feel for it really. Is there an implied balance of +0 or +2, etc?
        >
        > Ian.
        >
        > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "TomM" <TomMiskey@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It uses Stress as Hit Points, which makes it go much faster. If you are hit for 4 stress, you mark off 4 boxes, not just box #4. Combined with damage bonuses for weapons, it can go very fast so long as no one is wearing very heavy armor.

      • Dustin Evermore
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2012
          Seems to work pretty well. I ran a Star Wars KotOR game for about a year. Results can be found here. <https://sites.google.com/site/kotorfate/>. I have a PDF of the rulebook I threw together here <https://sites.google.com/site/kotorfate/library>. In it you'll see how I did weapons and armor/shields.

          The game simply built upon the foundation provide by SBA and so requires that book to play. The PDF and stuff I have on the website aren't necessarily the full release of all that I did. I actually did this as a birthday present for a friend -- when the campaign was complete I handed him the entire Scrivener project, which includes about a dozen full-length adventures (some modified from Star Wars sources, many new and unique) and a Bestiary/Adversaries section. It was designed to fully seduce him to the dark si-- I mean Fate 3.0 way. :) Which worked. ;)

          If someone wants to see it and has Scrivener, I could make it available. If you want a PDF just grab what's in the library at the above link. It won't have adventures and bad guys, but it has most everything else.

          Dustin Evermore

          ---
          Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

        • Dustin Evermore
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2012
            Oh duh. And here is the HTML version. *head smack*. <http://www.devermore.net/kotor-fate/Star%20Wars%20Fate.html>

            ---
            A closed mouth gathers no feet.

          • GalacticCmdr
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2012
              Interesting. For my LoA game I went the other way. I decreased the soak damage, but left the weapon damage the same. I find that this decreases the "I hit for no damage" scenario.

              So a sword does +2 damage, while Medium Armor provides Armor:1 and can soak 2 Mild Consequences. When it has taken both consequence it no longer provides the armor protection until it has been repaired.

              Chip

              --
              “Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. True irreverence is disrespect for another man’s god.” – Mark Twain