DFRPG: Ferromancy

  • GalacticCmdr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      I am running DFRPG at GenCON this year and I am putting together one of the character. He is a broad-shouldered metalsmith with a bit of dwarf blood in his past.

      Aspects:
         The fire of metal sings to my soul (HC)
         The world has left me behind (T)
         Blood of my Dwarven Ancestors run deep
         Well-known in the supernatural community

      Powers:
         Ritual: Ferromancy [-2]
         Inhuman Strength [-2]
         Inhuman Toughness [-2]
         Inhuman Recovery [-2]
         The Catch: Only metal/fire [+2]

      I gave the catch a +2 because everybody has something that can bypass it with them at all time (fleshy fists) or would a +1 be more appropriate because bullets and knives are pretty common weapons and fire is a fairly staple bit of magic.

      Chip
      --
      “Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. True irreverence is disrespect for another man’s god.” – Mark Twain

    • Stephen Figgins
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        +2 seems low, actually.  The example for "only fire" in the book suggests it's a +5 catch. (Only one thing +2, easily bypassed +2, researchable +1)  You could reduce that to +4 for protecting against two things.  It's still easily bypassed and presumably researchable.)

        I think the physical powers seem a bit much for someone with just a bit of dwarf blood though.  I think of dwarves as strong, but not superhuman strong.  Immunity to fire seems to fit being a ferromancer though.

        Tamora Pierce has a couple of characters in her children's novels that are good examples of ferromancers:

        Both of these do have immunity to fire. I also like the idea of having several interesting items.  This could stress the idea of dwarven craftsmanship.

        You could go with fire immunity, but if you add channeling to manipulate heat and metal (forgecraft), that could take care of defense and offense quite nicely and even give resistance to metal and fire on a short term basis.  The additional two refresh could go into extra items.  He could forge some wicked items.  You could lay out a few item suggestions for the player and leave some slots open for them to tailor as they wish.

        That would make the power line up either

        [-2] Ritual: Ferromancy
        [-8] Physical immunity fire
        [+5] Catch: only fire
        [-1] Refinement: +4 Enchanted Item Slots

        or

        [-2] Ritual: Ferromancy
        [-2] Channel: Forgecraft (Metal/Heat)
        [-2] Refinement: +8 Enchanted Item Slots

        Or maybe drop channel and just reap the benefit of 2 more refresh.  With all those item slots you will likely have plenty of combat options.

        --
        Stephen
      • Stuart Broz
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
          A few things:

             The fire of metal sings to my soul (HC)

          Great aspect. Not a high-concept.
          High concept seems to be: Dwarf-blooded Ferromancer

             The Catch: Only metal/fire [+2]

          I assume you mean that the powers only protect AGAINST metal/fire - which is backwards from how the Catch normally works. If The Catch is "Anything other than Metal or Fire" - I'd make that higher than +2. Most magic will work. Fists work. Baseball bats work. Rocks work. This is pretty easy to overcome.

          Stuart