Re: [FateRPG] Using FATE for Amber (2nd Attempt)

  • Darren Hill
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2012
      There's a lot to look at there, but definitely an interesting approach. Is there a link to Strange Fate?

      This rule seems a bit clunky:
      "Minimum in any skill is half the highest skill total rounded down. For example, if I put 14 points in Strength I could have +5 Athletics, +4 Toughness, +3 in Might, and +2 in Wrestling. "
      If I want a given skill level, I then have to work out what I need to spend on the other areas.
      Say I want to put a skill at 5, I then have to count how many other skills are in that group, assign 2 levels to each, and then work out how much I've spent. If i change my mind and bump it up to 6, I have to decide again. I preduct you'll see a lot of odd-numbered skill levels, as people realise that buying up the prime skill to an even level means they have to buy up all the other skills in that group too.

      This approach is roughly equivalent (assuming 4 skills per group):
      Buy a skill group at 5 points per level, to a maximum of level 4. All skills in that group are at that level, and one is double that level.

      So, if you buy a skill at level 3, you spend 15 points; all skills are at 3, one of them is level 6.
      You can then increase other skills in the group on a 1:1 basis, up to no higher than the highest skill.

      On 11 February 2012 23:50, johnpaul613 <saintandsinner.jmj@...> wrote:

      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoZWWytG5VHM2bu4-1KNLngZLwqGyX8SNBTAW_eBVYE/edit

      Let me know what you think.

      CHARACTER CREATION (based on the Stange FATE game system)
      7 Aspects (Start with 1 Conviction, 1 Family, 1 Position, 1 Complication, and 3 Free Aspects)
      Amber Heritage, Chaos Heritage, or Unknown Heritage (Receive one free, may buy both Amber and Chaos for -1 Refresh)
      50 Points divided into Skill Pools
      7 Refresh (after creation must be at least 1)
      1 Free Gift (Additional Gifts cost -1 refresh)
      All players that were the `Best' at something before conversion should see me about adding one or more Tier advantages and an Aspect or two to that skill)

      Amberite Heritage Gifts
      Enhanced Recovery – Use Endurance to reduce recovery time from physical conditions
      Psychic – on Trump call, prolonged eye contact, or skin-to-skin touch may initiate psychic contact or attack
      Activate Trump – may use Trumps for communication, travel, and for scrying
      Blood of Order – May walk the Pattern for free, does not cost skill points (may have other effects)
      Citizen of a "True Realm" – have an automatic +1 tier bonus when dealing with creatures of shadow, this does not stack with other bloodlines

      Chaos Heritage Gifts
      Natural Shapeshifter – Shapeshifter Power is free, does not cost skill points
      Psychic – on Trump call, prolonged eye contact, or skin-to-skin touch may initiate psychic contact or attack
      Activate Trump – may use Trumps for communication, travel, and for scrying
      Vulnerable to Pattern/Order effects (-1 Tier when opposed)
      Blood of Chaos - May assay the Logrus for free, does not cost skill points (may have other effects)
      Citizen of a "True Realm" – have an automatic +1 tier bonus when dealing with creatures of shadow, this does not stack with other bloodlines

      Unknown Heritage Gifts
      Psychic – on Trump call, prolonged eye contact, or skin-to-skin touch may initiate psychic contact or attack
      Activate Trump – may use Trumps for communication, travel, and for scrying
      Citizen of a "True Realm" – have an automatic +1 tier bonus when dealing with creatures of shadow, this does not stack with other bloodlines
      Hidden Talents – have 10 extra skill points and 1 extra refresh

      SKILL POOLS
      Maximum in any skill is +8. Divide points in skill pools from character creation into the underlying skills. Tier advantage costs -1 refresh per level. That is -1 for one level, -3 for two levels, -6 for three levels, -10 for four levels. If you have a Skill that is particularly important to you, consider getting an associated Aspect.
      Minimum in any skill is half the highest skill total rounded down. For example, if I put 14 points in Strength I could have +5 Athletics, +4 Toughness, +3 in Might, and +2 in Wrestling.
      If you want to use the Past Skill Pool talk to me. I'm still debating on the best implementation (I'm favoring letting points spent on the same skill stack between more than one Skill Pool, maximum would still be +8 though). There are seven skill pools:
      Strength
      Warfare
      Psyche
      Endurance
      Influence
      Intrigue
      Special (Unique Named Skill Pool from position, training, history, etc)

      STRENGTH
      - Athletics
      - Wrestling
      - Might
      - Toughness

      WARFARE
      - Combat
      - Tactics
      - Perception
      - Leadership

      PSYCHE
      - Celerity
      - Control
      - Power
      - Lore

      ENDURANCE
      - Health
      - Stamina
      - Will
      - Essence

      INFLUENCE
      - Position
      - Rapport
      - Contacts
      - Manipulation

      INTRIGUE
      - Espionage
      - Secrets
      - Conspiracy
      - Negotiation

      SPECIAL
      (Named Skill Pool, e.g. Duke of Kolvir, etc; may be bought more than once)
      - Knowledge (Background information from this skill)
      - Special (add a set of 3 skills from other groups, or unique skills not listed)

      POWER SKILLS
      The number in parentheses is the cost in skill points to have access to the skill if not provided in your starting heritage, if the skill requires -1 or more Refresh this will also be mentioned). If you have a Power that is particularly important to you, consider getting an associated Aspect. Any new Power Skills must be approved by the GM:

      Pattern (10)
      +1 Power Tier ( -1 Refresh)
      - Hellride
      - Find Shadow
      - Shadow Resources
      - Pattern Defense
      - Blood Curse
      - Walk the Pattern
      Limitation (Time, Minor Taxing, Walk Pattern - Major Taxing)

      Trump (8)
      +1 Power Tier ( -1 Refresh)
      - Create Trump
      - Trump Identification
      - Sense Trump
      - Trump Defense
      - Trump Transportation
      Limitation (Time for Creation, Trump Defense - Minor Taxing)

      Logrus (9)
      +1 Power Tier ( -1 Refresh)
      - Logrus Tendrils
      - Logrus Lens
      - Hang Spells
      - Alter Shadow
      - Shadow Resources
      Limitation (Time, Minor Taxing)

      Shape shifting (7)
      - Primal Form
      - Assume Shape
      - Healing
      Limitation (Major Taxing, Loss of Control)

      Sorcery (3, requires a power source)
      - Develop Spells
      - Cast Spells
      Limitation (Time)

      Conjuration (4, requires a power source)
      - Conjure Shadow
      - Empowerment
      Limitation (Time)

      GIFTS (May still need to expand/develop options)
      If you have a Gift that is particularly important to you, consider getting an associated Aspect.
      +2 to a single use of a skill
      Add a unique trapping to a skill (e.g. an advanced use of a Power)
      +5 Skill points
      Companion/Pet (see me)
      Equipment (see me)
      Shadow (see me)

    • johnpaul613
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2012
        The newest version. Thanks for the suggestions. Its much simpler but with basically the same math.

        https://docs.google.com/document/d/189rihoJpG9sAOfOeT-22X445RrfsRPdoB5lvFZK5I1Y/edit