Re: [FateRPG] Re: FATE game using Google Docs

  • Jeff Dunnett
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
      I'd be interested.

      Regards,
      Jeff

      On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

      If there is any interest I could set up a forum specifically for FATE Play by Internet games. There are a number of apps available thru my hosting provider which cold work well for this. Or we could just use a Google group/site or obsidian portal. Either way I like the notion of a community endorsed solution as opposed to a build it and they will come model.

      Is anybody interested in this?

      On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

      Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

      It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

      Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

      This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

      --
      Jeff Dunnett
      Northern Winds d99

      If you love something write it in C; If it compiles, it is yours; If it doesn't, it never was.

    • Jeremy Whalen
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
        Ok, let's do this!

        Google already provides the infrastructure and it has been a while since I ran into anyone without a gmail address so let's build on that.  I can spin up a straw-man Google Site tonight and open it up for collaboration.  Is anyone interested in working on this with me? Or is someone already doing this?

        Here is what I am thinking of...

        A central site containing game profile pages which embedded Google Docs pages under the direct control of the game organizer and their collaborators

        Gotta run...

        On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Matthew Whiteacre <mwhiteacre@...> wrote:

        I'd join such a forum.  I just recently (yesterday) basically stole the concept and sent an announcement out to a bunch of my old friends to generate a similar type of story.  I have two who have already posted.

        If you're interested the document link is at http://tinyurl.com/8y85lu7

        Matt

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
          I am following Robs lead here and set up a Google+ Page...

          https://plus.google.com/114977819881254772538

          On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:
          Ok, let's do this!

          Google already provides the infrastructure and it has been a while since I ran into anyone without a gmail address so let's build on that.  I can spin up a straw-man Google Site tonight and open it up for collaboration.  Is anyone interested in working on this with me? Or is someone already doing this?

          Here is what I am thinking of...

          A central site containing game profile pages which embedded Google Docs pages under the direct control of the game organizer and their collaborators

          Gotta run...

          On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Matthew Whiteacre <mwhiteacre@...> wrote:

          I'd join such a forum.  I just recently (yesterday) basically stole the concept and sent an announcement out to a bunch of my old friends to generate a similar type of story.  I have two who have already posted.

          If you're interested the document link is at http://tinyurl.com/8y85lu7

          Matt

          On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

          If there is any interest I could set up a forum specifically for FATE Play by Internet games. There are a number of apps available thru my hosting provider which cold work well for this. Or we could just use a Google group/site or obsidian portal. Either way I like the notion of a community endorsed solution as opposed to a build it and they will come model.

          Is anybody interested in this?

          On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

          Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

          It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

          Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

          This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

          > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
          >
          > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

          --
          -Jeremy Whalen

          --
          -Jeremy Whalen

        • Sam D
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
            Yeah. Here's a link to our game, if you're interested,

            https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fHpOpjixcGakLmT7_N4gP3hG7TDaM0K6hUSWD6MtLMU/edit

            We actually had played several sessions before I discovered this, so we kind of jumped into the middle of the story in the document.

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

            > Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.
            >
            > It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.
            >
            > Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy
            >
            > This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.
            >
            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
            > >
            > > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

          • Gene D.
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
              Here's an online dice roller: http://rolz.org/group

              Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....

              As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!
            • Travis Casey
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Gene D. <edemaitre@...> wrote:

                Here's an online dice roller: http://rolz.org/group

                Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....

                As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!

                2d6-6?  That gives a range of -4 to +6... I'm guessing you meant 2d6-7?

                Alternatively, if you like the probabilities of Fudge Dice better, you can use 4d3-8, which gives the same distribution as 4dF.

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                  On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Travis Casey <efindel@...> wrote:
                  2d6-6?  That gives a range of -4 to +6... I'm guessing you meant 2d6-7?

                  Probably did. Though typically, we do it as d6-d6 (which is identical to 2d6-7), with a positive die and a negative die. You tend to get more wildly-varied results with d6-d6 vs 4dF, which might better fit a cinematic tone for some folks.

                  --
                  Fred Hicks
                  Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                    >________________________________

                    Just thought I'd point out that that roller does Fudge dice, too. From the "Basic Dice Codes" section in the right-hand panel:

                    * Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
                    Example: 4U1
                  • robg2133
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                      Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

                      What rules were you using for this?

                      Rob

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                        We've been using this die roller:

                        http://www.xn--metstbchen-eeb.de/cgi-bin/DIESERVER/roll.pl

                        Which does fudge dice e.g. 4dF+2

                        Rob

                        > >Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....
                        > >
                        > >As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!
                        > >

                        > Just thought I'd point out that that roller does Fudge dice, too. From the "Basic Dice Codes" section in the right-hand panel:
                        >
                        > * Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
                        > Example: 4U1

                      • Sam D
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                          We use Strands of Fate. What I really like about it is the encouragement to describe the little details about a character's body language, and what they are thinking and feeling.