FATE v5.0

  • peter_ke_03
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
      I recently downloaded FATE v5.0. Nice work and I am pleased to read it.

      But?!?

      Can I ask you a question? Why on Fate home page http://www.faterpg.com is available only fate in version 3.0?

      I don`t understand it :-(.

      P.
    • Darren Hill

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
            Fate 3.0 is the latest version.

            Fate Core, which is in the 3.0 family, will be out sometime next year (hopefully before the summer), and will then be the latest "official" one.

            There are many fan and third party created branches of Fate. Think of it all like Linux. :)

            Fred Hicks
            Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
            Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
            For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks http://gplus.to/fredhicks
          • peter_ke_03
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
              Thank You all for replays. I think I understand the nature now.

              :-D

              PS: It was FreeFATE v5.0 I was told about.

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

              > Fate 3.0 is the latest version.
              >
              > Fate Core, which is in the 3.0 family, will be out sometime next year
              > (hopefully before the summer), and will then be the latest "official" one.
              >
              > There are many fan and third party created branches of Fate. Think of it
              > all like Linux. :)
              >
              > Fred
              >
              > --
              > Fred Hicks
              > Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
              > Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
              > For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks
              > http://gplus.to/fredhicks

            • Hollis McCray
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
                On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                > Fate 3.0 is the latest version.
                >

                > Fate Core, which is in the 3.0 family, will be out sometime next year (hopefully before the summer), and will then be the latest "official" one.
                >
                > There are many fan and third party created branches of Fate. Think of it all like Linux. :)

                And this is why Fate is awesome. Fate puts the core bits out there and
                says, "Feel free to mangle this as you please. Have fun!"

                --
                Hollis McCray
                aka The Fifth Wanderer

                ascensionschild@...

                "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
                LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
                  On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:
                  And this is why Fate is awesome. Fate puts the core bits out there and
                  says, "Feel free to mangle this as you please. Have fun!"

                  Right. And I absolutely want to see that continue, too, while still giving the end consumer gamer a chance to understand where the consistency comes from. That's part of the goal of Fate Core -- being able to say, with clarity, "here's the baseline", and then being able to clearly categorize add-ons and so forth as the customization, the plug-and-play module.

                  Fred Hicks
                  Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
                  Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
                  For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks http://gplus.to/fredhicks
                • Digitalmage
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "peter_ke_03" <peter_ke_03@...> wrote:
                    > I recently downloaded FATE v5.0. Nice work and I am
                    > pleased to read it.
                    >
                    > But?!?
                    >
                    > Can I ask you a question? Why on Fate home page
                    > http://www.faterpg.com is available only fate in
                    > version 3.0?
                    >
                    > I don`t understand it :-(.

                    Did you download Free FATE v0.5? If so the v0.5 (not v5.0!) is the version of the specific implementation of FATE known as Free FATE. It is based on version 3 of the overall FATE system.

                    Apologies for the confusion, if I update Free FATE again it will become v0.6 although to be honest I am fairly happy that Free FATE has reached a stable enough state to jump to a full integer version, i.e. v1.0 :)
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
                      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                      "Fate Core . . . will be out sometime next year (hopefully before the summer) . . . "

                      Woohoo!