Re: FATE game using Google Docs

  • Sam D
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2011
      My group has been doing this exact thing for about two months now.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'm currently running a FATE game using Google docs, which is coming along quite nicely so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of this group ;-)
      >
      > We're basically just using the core FATE rules minus stunts and stress tracks which seems to be pretty effective for this style of play.
      >
      > It kind of runs like a forum game or perhaps a bit more like just a collaborative bit of fiction writing. The characters are being created on the fly and the bulk of the narrative is coming from the players.
      >
      > Episode 1
      > http://bit.ly/shMuBg
      >
      > Episode 2 (current)
      > http://bit.ly/u49yje
      >
      > Google+ page
      > http://bit.ly/vjd3sR
      >
      > Spectators and new players are welcome.
      >
      > Rob

    • robg2133
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2011
        Thanks,

        I'm quite a fan of using Google docs for running games. I've used it to run Traveller heaps but I think FATE works much better and is more fun.

        Rob

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

        > That is Awesome, I am looking forward to a full reading of it!
        >
        > I just visited your doc and was amused to see your title. I have been using
        > that term, Exogenesis, for a site/game I am developing at
        > http://wiki.hexfreak.com/
        > I like how you are using document comments. VERY Cool.
        >
        > PS. I am also participating in a PBG (play by Google) FATE based game
        > although it has not yet progressed to the level of yours.
        > PSS. I developed a site and document management strategy using Google Apps
        > for my company as a proof of concept. It is really cool stuff and I would
        > love to discuss your use of it sometime.
        >
        > -Jay
        >

        > On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:57 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi there,
        > >
        > > I'm currently running a FATE game using Google docs, which is coming along
        > > quite nicely so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of this group ;-)
        > >
        > > We're basically just using the core FATE rules minus stunts and stress
        > > tracks which seems to be pretty effective for this style of play.
        > >
        > > It kind of runs like a forum game or perhaps a bit more like just a
        > > collaborative bit of fiction writing. The characters are being created on
        > > the fly and the bulk of the narrative is coming from the players.
        > >

        > > Episode 1
        > > http://bit.ly/shMuBg
        > >
        > > Episode 2 (current)
        > > http://bit.ly/u49yje
        > >
        > > Google+ page
        > > http://bit.ly/vjd3sR
        > >
        > > Spectators and new players are welcome.
        > >
        > > Rob
        > >

        > --
        > -Jeremy Whalen

      • robg2133
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 4, 2011
          A few people have asked me about how we run this so I started working on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t

          Though I've only just started it...

          Rob

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm currently running a FATE game using Google docs, which is coming along quite nicely so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of this group ;-)
          >
          > We're basically just using the core FATE rules minus stunts and stress tracks which seems to be pretty effective for this style of play.
          >
          > It kind of runs like a forum game or perhaps a bit more like just a collaborative bit of fiction writing. The characters are being created on the fly and the bulk of the narrative is coming from the players.
          >
          > Episode 1
          > http://bit.ly/shMuBg
          >
          > Episode 2 (current)
          > http://bit.ly/u49yje
          >
          > Google+ page
          > http://bit.ly/vjd3sR
          >
          > Spectators and new players are welcome.
          >
          > Rob

        • Jeremy Whalen
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 4, 2011
            Nice overview!. I look forward to reading more about your game and your methodology as it develops.

            -Jay

            --
            -Jeremy Whalen

          • Sam D
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2011
              That's a little different than we've been using it, then. We actually use it in real-time sessions because with Google Docs you can watch as other people type. The results are very similar though, and we started using comments to log the mechanics similar to how you have done it.

              After seeing the results, it is quickly becoming my preferred method of online gaming.

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

              > A few people have asked me about how we run this so I started working on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t
              >
              > Though I've only just started it...
              >
              > Rob
            • robg2133
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 6, 2011
                Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                Rob

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                > That's a little different than we've been using it, then. We actually use it in real-time sessions because with Google Docs you can watch as other people type. The results are very similar though, and we started using comments to log the mechanics similar to how you have done it.
                >
                > After seeing the results, it is quickly becoming my preferred method of online gaming.
                >
                > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                > >
                > > A few people have asked me about how we run this so I started working on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t
                > >
                > > Though I've only just started it...
                > >
                > > Rob

              • Jeremy Whalen
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Hmmmm I may have an idea.

                  On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:04 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                  Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                  Rob

                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                  > That's a little different than we've been using it, then. We actually use it in real-time sessions because with Google Docs you can watch as other people type. The results are very similar though, and we started using comments to log the mechanics similar to how you have done it.
                  >
                  > After seeing the results, it is quickly becoming my preferred method of online gaming.
                  >
                  > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A few people have asked me about how we run this so I started working on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t
                  > >
                  > > Though I've only just started it...
                  > >
                  > > Rob

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2011
                    Hi all,

                    This isn't exactly about using Google Docs for Fate, but here is a document I'll be using for an upcoming game of D&D 4.

                    Document

                    I bring a map into the document and then bring all of the players tokens, etc.  I have little markers for the various conditions, and some "wire frames" for area effects.  We even track initiative right on the document.

                    Anyway, it's been working quite well so far, I hope others find this example useful.  Let me know if you have suggestions.

                    On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

                    Hmmmm I may have an idea.

                    On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:04 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                    Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                    Rob

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                    > That's a little different than we've been using it, then. We actually use it in real-time sessions because with Google Docs you can watch as other people type. The results are very similar though, and we started using comments to log the mechanics similar to how you have done it.
                    >
                    > After seeing the results, it is quickly becoming my preferred method of online gaming.
                    >
                    > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A few people have asked me about how we run this so I started working on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t
                    > >
                    > > Though I've only just started it...
                    > >
                    > > Rob

                  • robg2133
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2011
                      Hey this looks awesome :-) Nice way to do it.

                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <sleepyjonnie@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > This isn't exactly about using Google Docs for Fate, but here is a document
                      > I'll be using for an upcoming game of D&D 4.
                      >
                      > Document<https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1E0DAMIxnlhCvmcAFT5oV4fh2g7b9nIJSTasMGYt7p5g/edit>
                      >
                      > I bring a map into the document and then bring all of the players tokens,
                      > etc. I have little markers for the various conditions, and some "wire
                      > frames" for area effects. We even track initiative right on the document.
                      >
                      > Anyway, it's been working quite well so far, I hope others find this
                      > example useful. Let me know if you have suggestions.
                      >
                      > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Hmmmm I may have an idea.
                      > >

                      > > On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:04 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the
                      > > chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there
                      > > isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.
                      > >
                      > > Rob
                      > >
                      > > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > That's a little different than we've been using it, then. We actually
                      > > use it in real-time sessions because with Google Docs you can watch as
                      > > other people type. The results are very similar though, and we started
                      > > using comments to log the mechanics similar to how you have done it.
                      > > >
                      > > > After seeing the results, it is quickly becoming my preferred method of
                      > > online gaming.

                      > > on this document: http://bit.ly/v2tS7t

                    • Sam D
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 6, 2011
                        It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                          Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

                          It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

                          Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

                          This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                            If there is any interest I could set up a forum specifically for FATE Play by Internet games. There are a number of apps available thru my hosting provider which cold work well for this. Or we could just use a Google group/site or obsidian portal. Either way I like the notion of a community endorsed solution as opposed to a build it and they will come model.

                            Is anybody interested in this?

                            On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                            Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

                            It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

                            Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

                            This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

                            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                            > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
                            >
                            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                          • Matthew Whiteacre
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                              I'd join such a forum.  I just recently (yesterday) basically stole the concept and sent an announcement out to a bunch of my old friends to generate a similar type of story.  I have two who have already posted.

                              If you're interested the document link is at http://tinyurl.com/8y85lu7

                              Matt

                              On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

                              If there is any interest I could set up a forum specifically for FATE Play by Internet games. There are a number of apps available thru my hosting provider which cold work well for this. Or we could just use a Google group/site or obsidian portal. Either way I like the notion of a community endorsed solution as opposed to a build it and they will come model.

                              Is anybody interested in this?

                              On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                              Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

                              It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

                              Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

                              This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

                              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                              > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
                              >
                              > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                            • Jeff Dunnett
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                                I'd be interested.

                                Regards,
                                Jeff

                                On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Jeremy Whalen <jeremy.whalen@...> wrote:

                                If there is any interest I could set up a forum specifically for FATE Play by Internet games. There are a number of apps available thru my hosting provider which cold work well for this. Or we could just use a Google group/site or obsidian portal. Either way I like the notion of a community endorsed solution as opposed to a build it and they will come model.

                                Is anybody interested in this?

                                On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, robg2133 <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                                Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.

                                It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.

                                Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy

                                This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.

                                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@...> wrote:

                                > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
                                >
                                > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                                --
                                Jeff Dunnett
                                Northern Winds d99
                                CA2009019901

                                If you love something write it in C; If it compiles, it is yours; If it doesn't, it never was.

                              • Jeremy Whalen
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                                  Ok, let's do this!

                                  Google already provides the infrastructure and it has been a while since I ran into anyone without a gmail address so let's build on that.  I can spin up a straw-man Google Site tonight and open it up for collaboration.  Is anyone interested in working on this with me? Or is someone already doing this?

                                  Here is what I am thinking of...

                                  A central site containing game profile pages which embedded Google Docs pages under the direct control of the game organizer and their collaborators

                                  Gotta run...

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2011
                                    I am following Robs lead here and set up a Google+ Page...

                                    https://plus.google.com/114977819881254772538

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                                      Yeah. Here's a link to our game, if you're interested,

                                      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fHpOpjixcGakLmT7_N4gP3hG7TDaM0K6hUSWD6MtLMU/edit

                                      We actually had played several sessions before I discovered this, so we kind of jumped into the middle of the story in the document.

                                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@...> wrote:

                                      > Yeah dice rolling isn't that much of a bother, just could be a bit slicker.
                                      >
                                      > It could be good to create a group or something for people who are into this so GMs can find players and vice-versa. Though I guess it would be easiest to just post to this forum.
                                      >
                                      > Here's a game I ran earlier in the year: http://bit.ly/sAHJcy
                                      >
                                      > This was a real-time thing and lasted 3 sessions each of about 3 hours. We did all the die rolls etc in the chat panel, which means there's no record of them, but is a bit easier to follow when doing real-time games.
                                      >
                                      > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Sam D" <fantomx11@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > It'd be nice if they did. I saw one that was based on jsdice for Google+ Hangouts With Extras, but afaik the plugin functionality isn't released yet. It hasn't really bothered us though. We just roll on our own and post the results in the chat panel. I figure, if someone is cheating, who cares as long as we all have fun.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "robg2133" <rob.gilks@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Yeah Google docs works great for real-time sessions, you also have the chat panel, I kind of prefer it to things like Fantasy Grounds. Pity there isn't some kind of dice-roller plugin.

                                    • Gene D.
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                                        Here's an online dice roller: http://rolz.org/group

                                        Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....

                                        As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!
                                      • Travis Casey
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                                          On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Gene D. <edemaitre@...> wrote:

                                          Here's an online dice roller: http://rolz.org/group

                                          Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....

                                          As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!

                                          2d6-6?  That gives a range of -4 to +6... I'm guessing you meant 2d6-7?

                                          Alternatively, if you like the probabilities of Fudge Dice better, you can use 4d3-8, which gives the same distribution as 4dF.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                                            On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Travis Casey <efindel@...> wrote:
                                            2d6-6?  That gives a range of -4 to +6... I'm guessing you meant 2d6-7?

                                            Probably did. Though typically, we do it as d6-d6 (which is identical to 2d6-7), with a positive die and a negative die. You tend to get more wildly-varied results with d6-d6 vs 4dF, which might better fit a cinematic tone for some folks.

                                            --
                                            Fred Hicks
                                            Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 8, 2011
                                              >________________________________

                                              Just thought I'd point out that that roller does Fudge dice, too. From the "Basic Dice Codes" section in the right-hand panel:

                                              * Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
                                              Example: 4U1
                                            • robg2133
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                                                Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

                                                What rules were you using for this?

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                                                  We've been using this die roller:

                                                  http://www.xn--metstbchen-eeb.de/cgi-bin/DIESERVER/roll.pl

                                                  Which does fudge dice e.g. 4dF+2

                                                  Rob

                                                  > >Since you'd have a browser open anyway for a Google Docs (thanks for that, BTW) or Google+ game, it's just one more tab. I've been using it for my "Pathfinder"/Skype game, for which I'm trying to persuade my role-players to try "Legends of Anglerre"....
                                                  > >
                                                  > >As long as everyone knows what shared space to log into (see "Dice Room" at the top left) you can see one another's rolls. For FATE and Fudge, you can do 2d6-6. Happy gaming!
                                                  > >

                                                  > Just thought I'd point out that that roller does Fudge dice, too. From the "Basic Dice Codes" section in the right-hand panel:
                                                  >
                                                  > * Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
                                                  > Example: 4U1

                                                • Sam D
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 9, 2011
                                                    We use Strands of Fate. What I really like about it is the encouragement to describe the little details about a character's body language, and what they are thinking and feeling.