Re: Diaspora inspirations

  • marcusnogueira23
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2011
      I want to thank everyone for your responses, they're fantastic. Keep them coming! I enjoy finding new things immensely. Thanks again!
    • Yunus Wesley
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2011
        More...

        Solar system science fiction in Charles Sheffield and Bruce Sterling. Schismatrix in particular blew my mind in college, mid 90s, with Brucey's vision not just of amazing and horrible clades of post-humans, but with a thoroughly colonized and developed solar system. You get a milieu of hundreds of industrialized moonlets, millions of robots chugging around the belt, thousands of hollowd-out asteroids and bubble-habitats floating all across the killer black. Earth is interdicted, and pretty fcsked up anyway; across three or so centuries, we move from maybe E-2 T0 to E-1 (terraforming projects across system) T4 (in the sense of prophesied Collapse). Pretty sweet!

        Stephen H. Dole's Rand _Habitable Planets for Man_ was given to me at an early age by my aunt, the writer Lee Killough. This RAND Corporation study ("In collaboration with... the reverse vampires!") is probably well out of date with respect to contemporary planetology, but makes a case for the range of characteristics earth-like worlds require. Densities, mass, distance from primary, tidal lock (bad) and why habitable worlds in dinky M-class star systems are proably moons of jovians. Heavier planets will be metal-poor in the crust. Lighter ones more toxic, with high concentrations of light metals.

        You can see a lot of this material in Killough's early 80s colonization novels, A Voice out of Ramah, Deadly Silents, Liberty's World. These use ramjet sleeper ships meant to be cannibalized into the first colony structures.

        Wayne Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials was another of Aunt Karen's* gifts, earlier than Dole. Keith Laumer's Demon gave me nightmares, but I made encyclopedia entries on aliens well through pre-adolescence... then again whenever I've been in a writerly or gaming frame, hmmm.

        *In the 70s publishers still thought women science fiction writers wouldn't sell; Karen Lee Killough takes a middle path ;)
      • zzzuperfly
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 7, 2011
          I have not read entire thread so he might be mentioned already:
          larry niven

          "the integral trees" series haunts me still - is it possible to make a gameworld out of it or is it too tightly coupled to the story?

          best regards
          östen

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "marcusnogueira23" <marcusnogueira23@...> wrote:

          > I want to thank everyone for your responses, they're fantastic. Keep them coming! I enjoy finding new things immensely. Thanks again!

        • the_bronze_rat
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 9, 2011
            Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes
            =====
            The story of Planetes follows the crew of the DS-12 "Toy Box" of the Space Debris Section, a unit of Technora Corporation. Debris Section's purpose is to prevent the damage or destruction of satellites, space stations and spacecraft from collision with debris in Earth's and the Moon's orbits. They use a number of methods to dispose of the debris (mainly by burning it via atmospheric reentry or through salvage), accomplished through the use of EVA suits.
            =====

            Very slow ramp up, but quite good on down the line. And I'll call it Hard Science....

            I agree too that Firefly isn't hard science - but damn is it fun......