Re: [FateRPG] Fate D6 MOS

  • Landon Darkwood
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2004
      On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:13:12 -0000, ahoggya <ahoggya@...> wrote:

      > I have been studying FATE lately, and I am wondering (since FUDGE
      > seems to be on its way out for the next edition of FATE) how you
      > calculate your MOS in FateD6?

      My guess is, in steps of 5, because that's how the difficulties are
      divided.

      So, hence:

      MoS 0-4 = normal MoS 0
      MoS 5-9 = normal MoS 1
      MoS 10-14 = normal MoS 2

      ...and so on.

      Note also that with an additive dice system like that, you don't need to
      worry about a different MoS table for static or dynamic tests - just go
      with the 'every 5' measure for all kinds of tests.

      -Landon Darkwood
    • Dave Wible
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2004
        --- Iago <iago@...> wrote:

        > Well, I don't know if you mean "Fate D6" as in the
        > D6
        > system's notion of rolling dice and adding up the
        > totals
        > (in which case, I'd say MoS is measured in
        > multiples of
        > five) or if you mean "Fudgeless Fate", which is an
        > even/odd success/fail dice system, and where MoS
        > is
        > measured simply by comparing the number of
        > successes each
        > side got.

        I meant the version where you add up a lot of D6s,
        given in the second edition of the FATE rules (I
        believe under the heading of alternate dice rules). I
        didn't know there was another version. This even/odd
        success/fail dice system is the probable one for the
        next "Fudgeless Fate" edition? Are the rules posted
        some where? Thanks for the clarification.
        Ahoggya@...

      • Dave Wible
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2004
          --- Landon Darkwood <darkwood@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:13:12 -0000, ahoggya
          > <ahoggya@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have been studying FATE lately, and I am
          > wondering (since FUDGE
          > > seems to be on its way out for the next edition of
          > FATE) how you
          > > calculate your MOS in FateD6?
          >
          > My guess is, in steps of 5, because that's how the
          > difficulties are
          > divided.
          >
          > So, hence:
          >
          > MoS 0-4 = normal MoS 0
          > MoS 5-9 = normal MoS 1
          > MoS 10-14 = normal MoS 2
          >
          > ...and so on.
          >
          > Note also that with an additive dice system like
          > that, you don't need to
          > worry about a different MoS table for static or
          > dynamic tests - just go
          > with the 'every 5' measure for all kinds of tests.
          >

          > -Landon Darkwood

          This is what I thought, but only for a dynamic
          challenge. For a static challenge it would be less?
          Would your MOS be for every 2.5 points of success?
          seems user-unfriendly. I usually use the Fudge dice,
          but I just like to comprehend the system in case
          someone really wants the "crunchy" numbers version.
          Thanks,
          Ahoggya@...

        • Iago
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2004
            On Thu, 13 May 2004, Dave Wible wrote:

            > This even/odd success/fail dice system is the probable one
            > for the next "Fudgeless Fate" edition?

            Yes.

            > Are the rules posted some where?

            Nope (still under development/testing).

            > Thanks for the clarification.

            Welcome!

            --
            Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
            Co-Author of Fate - Managing Editor of Fudge Factor - The 'fan' in fanatic
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2004
              On Thu, 13 May 2004 06:21:08 -0700 (PDT), Dave Wible <ahoggya@...>
              wrote:

              > This is what I thought, but only for a dynamic
              > challenge. For a static challenge it would be less?
              > Would your MOS be for every 2.5 points of success?

              Actually, no. The MoS scales for Fudge Fate and Fate D6 don't really have
              a mathematical parallel. Attempts to try and make the scales yield the
              same sets of results are pretty much doomed to failure because the
              difficulty ladder and the trait ladder in Fate D6 aren't parallel the way
              they are in Fudge Fate.

              Example: In Fudge Fate, dude A and dude B both have Average sword skill,
              and they're rolling a combat exchange. dude A gets -4 and dude B gets +4.
              Dude B wins by 8, which gives him an instant Taken Out. This example
              applies as a parallel to all such contests where the opponents are equal
              in skill.

              Example 2: In Fate D6, dudes A and B both have Average sword skill (2d6).
              They roll a combat exchange. Dude A rolls a 2 and dude B rolls a 12. Dude
              B wins the exchange by 10, but that's only enough to give him a normal
              Fate MoS of 2 on his target. He can only inflict a Hurt under the best
              circumstances against someone of equal skill.

              However, if they both had Good sword skill (4d6), and dude A rolls 4 while
              dude B rolls 24, dude B gets a Taken Out result (20 = MoS 4 = Taken Out).

              If they both had Legendary sword skill (8d6), dude A doesn't even have to
              do that badly to get Taken Out. He could get an average roll of 28 and
              still be taken out if dude B maxes out his roll (getting a 48).

              Futhermore, the probability of any particular result spread (in terms of
              MoS) happening in Fate D6 change depending on what size dice pools are
              involved. In Fudge Fate, every rung on the ladder has the same probability
              to get to any result on the ladder relative to itself, all the time. In
              other words, there's always the same chance of getting a +2 on the Fudge
              ladder no matter where you start from, but there's not always the same
              chance of beating the difficulty by 10 depending on what the difficulty is
              and what dice pool you have.

              See what I mean? It's a really apples and oranges thing.

              -Landon Darkwood <darkwood@...>
            • Dave Wible
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2004
                VERY interesting! I love the math in games... it
                makes me wish I'd paid more attention in statistics
                classes.
                Ahoggya

                http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/