FATE in the Potterverse - a Harry Potter FATE p&p rpg project

  • manuel_sambs
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
      Greetings, fellow FATE fans! I apologise in advance for all the horror I will bring over the written english language in my postings, as I am german and spellchecking can do only so much. ;)

      As a friend of mine and myself recently discovered, there is neither a Harry Potter p&p game, nor are there widely available conversions of other rule systems to fit the Potterverse. Seeing as there are tons of rpg play-by-post forums, and wikis containing basically every needed piece of detail from the books, movies, interviews and other sources, I thought to myself... why not create said game? Since the mentioned websites and wikis do not get sued into oblivion and I do not plan to make any money, I believe that "FATE in the Potterverse" is doable.

      Alas, I am but one man. Sure, I could probably do it, but it would take a very long time (a 9-to-5 job, girlfriend, and other hobbies seriously cut into my project time ;)).
      So I am here to not only dig through this great group for helpful postings, but to ask any of you for your help who would find such a project interesting. I do have the wiki/forum-based infrastructure ready to begin, located at http://www.gecko-entertainment.net (yes, it sounds like a company name, but it is just a fun URL name I registered many years ago and never really used - if you have doubts, do a WHOIS :)).

      At the moment my plans are to use the SotC SRD as a base and modify everything that needs modifying to fit the Potterverse. Which means tons of work on skills, stunts and not to mention the need to build a magic, potion, artefact and magical creature with special powers system. As I also already wrote on the wiki and forum, everything created will be released under the OGL.

      If you would like to join me in this work, I will welcome all help I can get with arms wide open. If you just want to offer advice, critic, suggestions, or comments here, all the same!

      Thank you for your time. :)
    • Bloomfield
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
        "Since the mentioned websites and wikis do not get sued into oblivion and I do not plan to make any money, I believe that "FATE in the Potterverse" is doable."

        Before you put effort into it, check on whether these points actually matter to copyright law (hint: they don't). The whole HP franchise has been vigorously defended against knockoffs and copyright infringements of all sorts, including a famous case about a HP dictionary put together by an ardent fan (which got shut down). So if you are intending to distribute it rather than have fun yourself, I'd suggest a little research first.

        J.K. Rowling might have a formal fan-art policy in place, that's where I would start.

        On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM, manuel_sambs <manuel_sambs@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Robert Stewart
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
          I direct you to Pottermore (http://www.pottermore.com )

          Pretty much if it doesn't come from Rowling's people right now, she'll eat you for lunch.

          However, the Dresden Files has long been considered 'harry potter' for adults. I'd aim more for the DFRPG for FATE as a basis, not SOTC.

          --
          RJStewart

        • Robert Rendell
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
            It's not the canonical Potterverse (more "Hogwarts with the serial numbers filed off"), but you might be interested in having a look at Boarsdraft by Josh "JB" Mannon, which is an RPG currently in open beta.

            http://atthetablegames.com/?p=71

            It's a very lightweight system with a conflict resolution approach, has player-directed play (the players choose what they're risking and their potential reward for a scene from a fixed list) and unified mechanics (e.g. the various spells are mechanically identical, and are similar to Fate Aspects in a way - if you can narrate one in, you can manipulate the dice roll in specific ways to improve your chances of success).  Actually, something like actual Aspects and the Fate-point economy would be easy to bolt on IMHO.

            I'm running my first session of it with my two kids and a friend of theirs this weekend.

            On 2 September 2011 04:48, manuel_sambs <manuel_sambs@...> wrote:

[...]

            Rob Rendell
          • Travis Casey
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
              Actually, there are a few Harry Potter P&P games already in existence... just none can call themselves that, for legal reasons.  Take a look at:

              --Travis
            • ezra_n_bradford
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                There's an unofficial GURPS sourcebook, too.
                http://www.sabledrake.com/2002/0205_harry_potter1.shtml

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Travis Casey <efindel@...> wrote:

                > Actually, there are a few Harry Potter P&P games already in existence...
                > just none can call themselves that, for legal reasons. Take a look at:
                >
                > http://blog.retroroleplaying.com/2009/07/simple-tabletop-rpg-for-harry-potter.html
                >
                > --Travis

              • manuel_sambs
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Sadly, the magic and powers sections of the DFRPG are not OGL content as of right now, which makes them unusable for what I planned to do, at least as far as I understand it.

                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stewart <hanshinoshikaze@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >> interesting. I do have the wiki/forum-based infrastructure ready to begin,
                  > >> located at http://www.gecko-entertainment.net (yes, it sounds like a
                  > >> company name, but it is just a fun URL name I registered many years ago and
                  > >> never really used - if you have doubts, do a WHOIS :)).
                  > >>
                  > >> At the moment my plans are to use the SotC SRD as a base and modify
                  > >> everything that needs modifying to fit the Potterverse. Which means tons of
                  > >> work on skills, stunts and not to mention the need to build a magic, potion,
                  > >> artefact and magical creature with special powers system. As I also already
                  > >> wrote on the wiki and forum, everything created will be released under the
                  > >> OGL.
                  > >>
                  > >> If you would like to join me in this work, I will welcome all help I can
                  > >> get with arms wide open. If you just want to offer advice, critic,
                  > >> suggestions, or comments here, all the same!

                • manuel_sambs
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                    And yet there are dozens of wikis and roleplaying forums, which not only use copyrighted names in their domain names, but also within their forum play (some of them even give out the roles of the main characters to players).
                    The dictionary only got shut down when Rowling wished to sell an ecyclopedia of here own, before that she stated she even was in a very friendly contact with the owner of the website.
                    Since she stated she does not really like RPGs, I don't think there is a big chance of one being released in the future.

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Bloomfield <etbloomfield@...> wrote:

                    > "Since the mentioned websites and wikis do not get sued into oblivion and I
                    > do not plan to make any money, I believe that "FATE in the Potterverse" is
                    > doable."
                    >
                    > Before you put effort into it, check on whether these points actually matter
                    > to copyright law (hint: they don't). The whole HP franchise has been
                    > vigorously defended against knockoffs and copyright infringements of all
                    > sorts, including a famous case about a HP dictionary put together by an
                    > ardent fan (which got shut down). So if you are intending to distribute it
                    > rather than have fun yourself, I'd suggest a little research first.
                    >
                    > J.K. Rowling might have a formal fan-art policy in place, that's where I
                    > would start.
                    >
                    > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM, manuel_sambs <manuel_sambs@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Greetings, fellow FATE fans! I apologise in advance for all the horror I
                    > > will bring over the written english language in my postings, as I am german
                    > > and spellchecking can do only so much. ;)
                    > >
                    > > As a friend of mine and myself recently discovered, there is neither a
                    > > Harry Potter p&p game, nor are there widely available conversions of other
                    > > rule systems to fit the Potterverse. Seeing as there are tons of rpg
                    > > play-by-post forums, and wikis containing basically every needed piece of
                    > > detail from the books, movies, interviews and other sources, I thought to
                    > > myself... why not create said game? Since the mentioned websites and wikis
                    > > do not get sued into oblivion and I do not plan to make any money, I believe
                    > > that "FATE in the Potterverse" is doable.
                    > >
                    > > Alas, I am but one man. Sure, I could probably do it, but it would take a
                    > > very long time (a 9-to-5 job, girlfriend, and other hobbies seriously cut
                    > > into my project time ;)).
                    > > So I am here to not only dig through this great group for helpful postings,
                    > > but to ask any of you for your help who would find such a project
                    > > interesting. I do have the wiki/forum-based infrastructure ready to begin,
                    > > located at http://www.gecko-entertainment.net (yes, it sounds like a
                    > > company name, but it is just a fun URL name I registered many years ago and
                    > > never really used - if you have doubts, do a WHOIS :)).
                    > >
                    > > At the moment my plans are to use the SotC SRD as a base and modify
                    > > everything that needs modifying to fit the Potterverse. Which means tons of
                    > > work on skills, stunts and not to mention the need to build a magic, potion,
                    > > artefact and magical creature with special powers system. As I also already
                    > > wrote on the wiki and forum, everything created will be released under the
                    > > OGL.
                    > >
                    > > If you would like to join me in this work, I will welcome all help I can
                    > > get with arms wide open. If you just want to offer advice, critic,
                    > > suggestions, or comments here, all the same!
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for your time. :)

                  • Ryan Macklin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                      On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM, manuel_sambs <manuel_sambs@...> wrote:
                      > Sadly, the magic and powers sections of the DFRPG are not OGL content as of right now, which makes them unusable for what I planned to do, at least as far as I understand it.

                      Point of note: we have no plans to make Dresden's Magic system open
                      content. It's far too intertwined with Jim's IP, to where it would
                      look like a cheesy military document with the amount we'd have to
                      redact. :)

                      But those ideas of ours will find its way into Fate Core and other
                      projects, don't worry...

                      (Also, if you're not making money, why not just say "Like Dresden,
                      except for blah and blah and blah"?)

                      - Ryan

                      --
                      Ryan Macklin
                      Production Manager, Evil Hat Productions
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Yes, that is exactly my point. Wizardry and Witchcraft and the GURPS sourcebook even use the copyrighted names and they are still up and running. Since the term "Potterverse" is not a copyrighted term, I think my idea is, even if it stretches the idea of 'fair use' and 'fan works' a little, in fact just another tolerated fan work.

                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "ezra_n_bradford" <ezra.bradford@...> wrote:

                        > There's an unofficial GURPS sourcebook, too.
                        > http://www.sabledrake.com/2002/0205_harry_potter1.shtml
                        >
                        > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Travis Casey <efindel@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Actually, there are a few Harry Potter P&P games already in existence...
                        > > just none can call themselves that, for legal reasons. Take a look at:
                        > >
                        > > http://blog.retroroleplaying.com/2009/07/simple-tabletop-rpg-for-harry-potter.html
                        > >
                        > > --Travis

                      • Jayson Stevens
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                          On 2 Sep 2011, at 5:05, manuel_sambs wrote:

                          > I think my idea is, even if it stretches the idea of 'fair use' and 'fan works' a
                          > little, in fact just another tolerated fan work.

                          The law is not something to be making assumptions about.

                          Just because a fan work exists and has not been shut down does not, by ANY
                          stretch, mean that it is "tolerated".

                          It may in fact be tolerated.
                          It's far more likely to be "not yet noticed by the Powers That Be"
                        • manuel_sambs
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                            Thank you for that info, Ryan! :)

                            As for the "Like Dresden": Because then people would have to buy the DFRPG books to know what the new rules are talking about and while I don't mind more sales of a great RPG, more or less forcing people to buy something so they can use a free resource kind of defeats the point. :/

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                              Consider it a starting point.

                              A free product, once published, isn't set in stone.

                              Do what you need to do in order to get your idea out there in the
                              first place. Then iterate.

                              - Ryan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
                                Maybe. Or maybe a pure framework of rules, as it is provided there, does not count as much more than fan fiction, of which there are uncountable amounts.

                                On another approach, we could probably just build the system as planned, only with different names for things - basically J.B. Mannon did with Boarsdraft (which I have looked at, but it is too focused on the schools, I was aiming at gaming possibilities for all age characters. Still, thanks for pointing it out, Robert Rendell!)