Aspect: ”I don't understand it, but I like it!”

  • monte_gabhar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
      I am a HUGE fan of the FATE system. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to play a FATE session yet, but I am looking forward to it. I think aspects are probably my favorite game mechanic ever, but I don't think I fully understand them. I can read the rules and nod my head and say, "Uh-huh, makes sense", but when I try to visualize it all together, I feel like I will most likely not apply them to their full effectiveness. So here is my question: Is there a podcast out there or a scripted role play session that does a good job of covering all the possible aspect bases?

      Thanks
    • Jonathan Cook
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
        don't know about video of  a play but have played in 2 fate based games and i can tell you in practice
        it works like a dream and make's for great  rollplaying

        The Dark lord of OZ

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
          Mel White's "Virtual Play" podcast had a very good episode about aspects (in Spirit of the Century, but obviously applicable to any Fate game), interspersing recordings from actual play with his commentary about the use of aspects in the game.  The Virtual Play site has unfortunately gone down permanently, but it seems that Mel has uploaded back-episodes onto archive.org.  The episode in question is number 21:

          http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22virtual%20play%20archives%22&sort=-publicdate

          It looks like Mel and his brother have uploaded a bunch of actual play audio files onto archive.org.  I recommend this one, if you have the time to listen to it:

          http://www.archive.org/details/SpiritOfTheCenturyDexcon11

          It's a full game of SotC ("Rex Rich and the Warlord of Mars!"), with one of the characters being run by Fred Hicks (playing a pulp version of Albert Einstein).  It doesn't have the commentary of the Virtual Play episodes, but listening to a full session of the game is also valuable.

          --
          Have fun,
          Rob Rendell
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1 6:38 AM
            It took us quite a while playing FATE to fully grok aspects.  My advice is just to play when you get the chance and not to worry too much about "doing it right."   There are even things we did wrong from the start because we misread the rules and ended up keeping because we liked them.

            Bill

            On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM, monte_gabhar <ryvent77@...> wrote:

            I am a HUGE fan of the FATE system. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to play a FATE session yet, but I am looking forward to it. I think aspects are probably my favorite game mechanic ever, but I don't think I fully understand them. I can read the rules and nod my head and say, "Uh-huh, makes sense", but when I try to visualize it all together, I feel like I will most likely not apply them to their full effectiveness. So here is my question: Is there a podcast out there or a scripted role play session that does a good job of covering all the possible aspect bases?

            Thanks

          • Bloomfield
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1 7:02 AM
              Can you tell us what those things were you kept? I'm intrigued.

              I am running DFRPG now with a group of 3.5/4e and World of Darkness junkies, who were into the books but didn't know FATE. I remind them at the start of each session of what you can do with Aspects (like declarations), I probe a bit, and I keep a list of all their aspects right in front of me so that I don't miss good compels. I always make a bit of a production of compels (holding up a fate point dramatically and so forth). I write tons of aspects on the maps for fight scenes.

              We just started recently - so far so good, but they have not started tagging aspects as much as I would like, or compelling the opposition. They love being compelled though - those are the high drama moments they talk about afterwards. Like when I compelled an "exhausted" aspect (after a fight with the red court vamps) to make a PC doze off and let their recently-invected freaked-out friend escape who is now loose in the city somewhere, doesn't know what's happening to her, and might turn into a full-fledged RCV anytime…

              I wouldn't worry about rules in detail - just insist that every use of an aspect is a narrative moment, not just a mechanical "okay, I get a +2 for my Kicks Ass aspect, that's a total of +4…."

              I've also handed out candy for using aspects, in addition to the fate-point economy.

              On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Bill Burdick <bill.burdick@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1 7:35 AM
                Hi there,

                One item you mentioned below jumped out at me:

                " . . . or compelling the opposition."

                I must have completely missed this! I'd image the player determines (assesses or declares) an NPC has an aspect, and then passes that NPC a fate point to compel the aspect, correct? Sounds especially great for social encounters . . .

                If your 3.5/4e vets are anything like my players (and it sounds like they are), then it's no surprise they wouldn't be doing this much yet. It's a complete shift from the D&D role-playing paradigm.